Would you Swap 3.5e for Exalted?

Would you swap your 3.5e core rulebooks for an EXALTED 2nd Edition core rulebook

• Yes

Votes: 56 17.7%
  • No

Votes: 230 72.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 31 9.8%

• Poll closed .

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I don't own 3.5, because 3.0 was good enough for me, until 4E rolled around. One purchase per major edition is my rule. :)

As for Exalted, hmm, how to say this to convey my true feelings in an acceptable manner for this board? I wouldn't play Exalted if they paid me to take the books. My time is more valuable than that. I could do something more entertaining and productive, like stare at the wall. :D Part of this feeling is based on the quality of the Exalted mechanics, presentation, etc. The rest is on the perceived attitude of WW itself--a perception which this marketing stunt reinforces.

BadMojo

First Post
Crazy Jerome said:
As for Exalted, hmm, how to say this to convey my true feelings in an acceptable manner for this board? I wouldn't play Exalted if they paid me to take the books. My time is more valuable than that.

I don't dislike it that intensely, but the rules certainly didn't live up to the EPIC, "split mountains in half with your giant anime sword" feel the game seems to be going for. Combat was pretty tedious, tons of dice or not.

If WW is targetting folks who are upset about 4E, why would those same people have any interest in Exalted? Most of the complaints I've seen about 4E have been about the "over the top" powers, odd names, etc. That's pretty much the bread and butter of Exalted.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Undecided. They're both rules heavy-ish games when it comes to tracking minutae and exception-based rules. I don't really care for either in large doses, despite liking both games just fine for short games and one-offs.

For me, in terms of actual play experience, if forced to choose, I'd probably stick with D&D -- but only because I'm not fan of huge dice pools composed of entirely of an uncommon die type (d10s, in the case of White Wolf).

Not having to buy (and, subsequently roll) absurd numbers of dice that I'll be unlikely to use in any other published RPG that I own is the only real edge that D&D has over Exalted for me. That said, in terms of cash and practicality, it's a pretty big edge ;)

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Ourph said:
Despite Scott's personal distaste for destroying books, I very much doubt WotC will be all that altruistic when it comes to preserving old books for future generations.

Humour me for a while. Just a thought-experiment.

If, instead of pulping those 3.5 books, imagine if WotC offered to trade them for other games.

And then pupled the other games.

What would the reaction be?

My guess: rage.

/M

bento

Explorer
Ourph said:
Despite Scott's personal distaste for destroying books, I very much doubt WotC will be all that altruistic when it comes to preserving old books for future generations.
It's called an inventory write off and it helps reduce corporate taxes. It has nothing to do with altruism and everything to do with profitability. Without profit, WoTC and Hasbro wouldn't be in business and all those game designers and contributors would be looking for work elsewhere. The difference in this situation is WW wants to destroy a book from your personal collection, rather than a company disposing of obsolete inventory.

Ourph

First Post
Maggan said:
Humour me for a while. Just a thought-experiment.

If, instead of pulping those 3.5 books, imagine if WotC offered to trade them for other games.

And then pupled the other games.

What would the reaction be?

My guess: rage.
I concur with your prediction. Then again, predicting nerd rage in response to change is like predicting the sun will rise in the east tomorrow morning.... a pretty safe bet.

bento said:
It's called an inventory write off and it helps reduce corporate taxes. It has nothing to do with altruism and everything to do with profitability. Without profit, WoTC and Hasbro wouldn't be in business and all those game designers and contributors would be looking for work elsewhere. The difference in this situation is WW wants to destroy a book from your personal collection, rather than a company disposing of obsolete inventory.
Ummm... I used the word altruism specifically because it applies to someone giving up an advantage (like tax breaks) in order to benefit someone else (like people who buy 2nd hand gamebooks). I think it applies within the context of what I posted.

Also, WW isn't destroying anything from your book collection. WW wants to trade books with you. If you still want your 3.5 PHB, don't make the trade. What they do with their 3.5 PHB after you choose to make the trade is irrelevant to your personal book collection. The 3.5 PHB wouldn't be yours anymore even if WW decided to enshrine it in a D&D museum. WW destroying books they own is no worse than WotC destroying books they own; and as I said before, WotC has already (at the release of 3e and of 3.5) destroyed huge numbers of D&D books and will likely be destroying a lot more once 4e hits the shelves. Probably many times more than the 2500 WW is proposing.

I think you're getting the idea that I'm calling WotC evil for pulping books. I'm not. Pulping books is a good business decision, which I respect. I just find it hypocritical that people are calling foul on WW for doing something that WotC does to its own books on a regular basis and on a much larger scale.

Last edited:

DM_Jeff

Explorer
>>"Retailers must take all D&D 3.5 Player’s Handbooks that are exchanged, tear out the pages, and return the full cover with the consumer forms using the return label provided in the book kit.">>

White Wolf?

EAT MY SHORTS

-DM Jeff

Cam Banks

Adventurer
bento said:
The difference in this situation is WW wants to destroy a book from your personal collection, rather than a company disposing of obsolete inventory.

White Wolf is saying, "Hey, we'll trade your 3.5 PHB for Exalted 2nd." They are not holding a copy of Exalted hostage, demanding a deep and personal sacrifice lest the copy of Exalted somehow wither and die. It is aimed at people who don't want their 3.5 PHB any more. What's the issue?

Cheers,
Cam

Remove ads