• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would YOU want a book of hand-drawn maps?

psyekl

First Post
I've always considered the maps to be one of my favorite parts of rolepaying. Back in the '80's I would literally spend hours just perusing campaign worlds and dungeons imagining what it would look like if I were standing within them. I'd spend days leaning over my desk drawing out strange lands and magnificent dungeons with the satisfaction that they were not just frivilous art, but a real place that the players would be able to explore. But as time passed and technology changed, the maps have gone digital and no longer have the appeal for me that they once did.

I understand completely that many gamers want the map just for orientation and care little for it's appearance, or that not everyone has the talent for drawing that others posess. There are some spectacular computer-generated maps out there created by people that admittedly could't even draw a straight line by hand. I still can't help but wish for the hand-drawn maps of the "good 'ol days".

So here I am, all growed up and I'm deciding to create a book of hand-drawn maps for all to enjoy! While this book will have an artistic quality, I'd still like your input on what you'd like to see so that It'll have a chance at being a useful addition to any role-player's library.

The first book will be primarily for the fantasy genre, and I'm planning on making two versions of each map/floorplan: 1 drawn artistically but left blank of any information (but still having a grid), another with a key and labels, and any other information that may help in deciphering the map.

So please feel free to speak up and let me know if this is something you would like to see, or just something that would be completely useless to you. If you would like some more information or to see some examples of what I'm planning on drawing, see the link in my sig.

UltimaGabe

First Post
Personally, I suck at coming up with maps. Like, seriously- no joke. I am god-awful at drawing maps, and even worse at coming up with the plans for them. The majority of my maps end up being a straight line (or a curved line, but either way, with only one very direct path). Hand-drawn maps, in my opinion, would be great- not only would it be awesome to have maps to use and help spark ideas, but it'd be great to imagine what kind of adventures were had in those dungeons when the map was first made.

I'd be all for something like that, if it were available. If you plan on making some, you'd definitely have me as a buyer.

redmetal

First Post
I wouldn't personally buy this book, but that's because I understand your lust for drawing beautiful maps. Many times I've been mid campaign when I began drawing maps of a new land just for fun, and then, I start writing a new setting, and before long I want to switch to that new campaign.

Boy am I a sucker.

But I do love your idea for the book... I think it's a niche that hasn't been filled (yet)

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I loved you maps from the first time I saw them.

Heck, I then printed out the Fungus Cave map of yours, and used it as the basis for a four-session adventure in our Underdark campaign. LOVED it. Basically just used the map and the stats for a few critters and the map was more than enough to make everyone's imaginations run full-tilt.

LOVE your maps.

Once again, as I offered ages ago, E.N.Publishing would love to publish this if you don't have someone else signed up already.

Crothian

First Post
I'm probably alone in this, but when I read the title I was thinking hand drawn maps that look it. I was thinking along the lines of something that would represent what the characters might get in game, something hand drawn and written on, not actually 100% accurate. Something that would make a cool prop.

IronWolf

blank
This could possibly interest me. I am a big fan of taking a map and dropping it into a campaign. Oftentimes the map will provide some inspiration and all I have to do is populate it with critters and descriptions if it is Dungeon/Cavern map. Small town maps or building maps are also useful.

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
If a map is good it will get some use from me. I am always on the lookout for good maps. Personally, I think there are not enough modern era maps (oh, what I would give for a map of a super hero mansion).

Nightcloak

First Post
Crothian said:
I'm probably alone in this, but when I read the title I was thinking hand drawn maps that look it. I was thinking along the lines of something that would represent what the characters might get in game, something hand drawn and written on, not actually 100% accurate. Something that would make a cool prop.

Include props for the PCs and I'm in!

I love a good map just like others have stated. I just don't have the time to spend hours doing them like I use to.

psyekl

First Post
The problem with prop maps is coming up with one that looks artistic and appealing while being generic enough to drop into an existing game world. Most of the "treasure maps" I draw are made with a particular world in mind, using the terrain features of that location. I've seen "generic" player handouts and they're usually unusable to me. I guess I could include incomplete rough-drawn maps of the various dungeons, perhaps drawn by prior adventurers who didn't get too far, or just didn't get out...

HellHound: I'm definitely still interested, and as you can see I'm still doing my research to decide which way I'm going to go with this. I was working with someone else on another project for a while there, but it didn't pan out so I guess I'm going to stick to my own and get this thing rolling. I'll be in touch, count on it.

Last edited:

Remove ads