Would you...

Would you buy one large book or one or more smaller ones?

• I'd go for the whole thing, if it looked really good

Votes: 25 41.7%
  • I'd rather get to pick and choose - give me smaller chunks

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • I don't plan on buying any more 3.5 stuff - I'm converting to 4E

Votes: 20 33.3%

Asmor

First Post
Would and have. Staples is all the PoD I need. Although I should mention I'd prefer a cap around 150 pages, since according to the guy that I asked, that's about as much as you can comfortably fit in a spiral binding.

That said, it'd be cool if it was released in modules, as well, so I could pick and choose.

That said, I don't plan on buying any more 3.5 stuff, as I'm officially on break from D&D until 4th edition comes out. Of course, I still buy PDFs, like the Necropolis setting for Savage Worlds which clocks in at 150 pages.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Depends upon the price and the value I would be getting. I would not rule out a 200+ page PDF just because of its size, but if I had to buy the whole thing when I only wanted one or two sections, I probably would not, unless the price was low enough to justify it.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
PDFs are great, and POD is the icing on the cake.

II don't really expect to buy into 4E and if not, I've got a bunch of stuff lined up for purchase at Lulu next year.

Kerrick

First Post
Thanks for the comments, all. I should say that the books are 215 pages in Word (single column). Spells work better in that format than PrCs, so Mystic Strife is 165 in 2-column format, and Crimson Scrolls is amost 200. :uhoh: I think we went a little overboard...

With pdf products you can do it both ways. It takes more layout work but you can offer both options if you wish to do so.
Yeah, that's what I suggested - if someone wants to buy the whole thing, they can do so at a slight discount. From the way the voting's going, most people would prefer to get the whole thing and just print what they want, which makes sense. Our publisher's doing the layout, and he's swamped with work and other stuff, so he doesn't have a lot of free time - that was part of the reason for his idea.

Glyfair

Explorer
Kerrick said:
buy a 200+ page pdf, either as a pdf or POD? This is a serious question - we've got two of them; one's in final edit, and one is going for layout.
Depends on the book. For a book that I can't just print out I want something that's mostly reference. For example, I look up a monster in my Revised Tome of Horrors and print out the appropriate pages.

Something that is used as a whole? No, not interested beyond an "easily printable size."

ukgpublishing

First Post
So seeing the mixed results, and knocking out the don't plan to buy until 4e responses, its a pretty mixed bag of choices between smaller (and in this case we mean small as in 50-100 page chunks) releases and a single book.

I just want to throw another idea into the mixing pot, which is somewhere between the two.

How would people view a subscription model, similar to that of EnWorld's own War of the Burning Sky subscription. The idea being that for the price of the full book, the buyer would get each of the releases as they came out and at the end of the book, a single book containing all the released books joined back up as a whole.

This would mean that those who wanted a single book would get it, but with the added benefit of getting each release as it came out, whilst those who wanted to pick and choose could also get just the sections they wanted.

Thoughts?

Asmor

First Post
I don't know why, but the subscription idea just doesn't sit well with me for PDFs. Yet oddly I have no problem with subscribing to D&D Insider. Go figure.

Remove ads