• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WoW is becoming DDM

StarFyre

Explorer
hehe

funny thing..i kinda agree with that sarcasm..

i'm currently sculpting a model for the june 2008 golden demon toronto :) hehehe

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Sanjay

Hussar

Legend
StarFyre - I will agree with you on those Rackham minis though. Those things are sweetness and light. Very, very pretty.

Kunimatyu

First Post
StarFyre said:
Yes, it takes more time and money...but if thats a problem, either way, you shouldn't have started the hobby or you will switch over.

Dude there's plenty of D&D fanboyism here, I don't think I can take GW fanboyism on top of that.

StarFyre

Explorer
hehe

actually i am not a GW fanboy....

Point is, I still think the markets are (currently) somewhat independent. I don't know any, or have i seen, in any hobby show hardcore GW players moving to the other games, or vice versa.

I do have a warhammer army (lizardmen, I like dinos) but I haven't played in 2 years...i do paint however, but for D&D....even my lizardmen army and dinos I can use in D&D (and have on a nice island adventure, prehistoric styles).

:)

Also to note, 90% of my army is all half price from ebay...since GW prices are a total rip off..i will admit I am a sucker for the huge forgeworld dragons though..much better scale for dragons in D&D :)

Sanjay

Frostmarrow

First Post
Oo. :eek: The models are made by Mike McVey!

Mike McVey! He was the supreme diorama master of White Dwarf in the nineties. The stuff he made was nothing short of fantastic!

Anyone else remember Mike?

Khuxan

First Post
Frostmarrow said:
Oo. :eek: The models are made by Mike McVey!

Mike McVey! He was the supreme diorama master of White Dwarf in the nineties. The stuff he made was nothing short of fantastic!

Anyone else remember Mike?

He also painted Chainmail minis and had a number of articles in Dragon.

StarFyre said:
Dont' really care what people prefer....everyone has their own preference.

I scoff at the notion that those miniatures are actually high quality...

To most people, these minis look like they have relatively high-quality scuplts (compared to D&D, Reaper and some GW minis). The detail on the Draenei Paladin's armour is quite excellent, for example (the Orc Warrior is pretty mediocre, the others are better). The fact that they're by Mike McVey tends to undermine any vague suggestions of crappiness.

The pre-painting is also better than most pre-painting.

As for you not knowing any GW players who would prefer pre-painted models, well, I don't know any CURRENT GW players who would prefer it, either. But for every person I know who plays GW now, I know about six who "used to play", and many of them would still be playing if they could buy a pre-painted army and just get to playing (not for lack of painting talent as much of lack of time).

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Ruin Explorer said:
As for you not knowing any GW players who would prefer pre-painted models, well, I don't know any CURRENT GW players who would prefer it, either. But for every person I know who plays GW now, I know about six who "used to play", and many of them would still be playing if they could buy a pre-painted army and just get to playing (not for lack of painting talent as much of lack of time).

This was my reason for giving in, it was just far too much effort to stay interested. You had to spend far too much to get a functional army together. Then you had to try to paint them, which was its own hobby entirely really. Finally the last version I played was such hard work mechanically that it far too long to have a battle.

Necromunda and Mordheim on the other hand, were both excellent. You only needed about ten figures and it could take just an hour for a battle and there were campaign aspects. If they would create a game like that with pre-paints I'd be sold. DDM almost fills this void for me, but actually I'd like something a little less diverse in terms of combatants.

GW have had terrible management since, well, forever really. Over-expansion, poor consolidation of their IP and these days it's saddening to look into one of their stores. I don't know how they survive!

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Ruin Explorer said:
I know about six who "used to play", and many of them would still be playing if they could buy a pre-painted army and just get to playing (not for lack of painting talent as much of lack of time).

That's what eBay is for. :) When I got my friends into Warhammer (in 2001), they all raised the objection "But isn't it time consuming and expensive to build an army?" Turns out, at that time you could buy a pre-painted army (2,000 pts) for about $200. I *like* the painting and building, but for them the "buy it now" option was the way to go.

We played for about 4 months or so. Then we stopped, because a 5-turn game would take 3 hours and offer little variety from game to game.

I think the real enjoyment of Warhammer was the painting and modding--the "hobby" bits. The actual gameplay of Warhammer is much, much better suited to a computer.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads