D&D 3E/3.5 Wow! Look at this awesome new unofficial 3E news site!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Some chap called Eric Noah has a website all about the new D&D 3E!

http://www.enworld.org/ericnoah/

So this is a Blast from the Past. With the help of Eric, I'm reconstructing much of his old website, Eric Noah's Unofficial D&D 3rd Edition News. I'm sure many who were around at the time will agree that its place in D&D history is an important one. I intend to preserve the site as a museum piece - a nostalgic look at things in 1999/2000. Just reading that site, I'm sure you'll be able to spot many ways in which the community and environment have changed in the last 13-14 years.

Eric's site was important to me. I didn't visit many websites back then. Hell, I had a dial-up modem, and Eric updated his site by making web pages in HTML and uploading them via an FTP program, like it was totally 1999 or something. Not only that, as many of you are aware, EN World is the evolution of Eric's site and the wonderful community he built around it. The day he closed the site was a sad one, and I feel honoured to be continuing that work - though not nearly so well - all these years later.

Thank you, Eric, for the best D&D website that ever existed. There have been thousands upon thousands of unofficial D&D sites, blogs, and social networking groups since then, but yours, to me, was undeniably the Big Daddy of them all.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Thank you for the kind words, Russ - and much more importantly, for keeping my tiny little flame alight and turning it into something stronger and more enduring than I could ever have imagined.

Those two years were an extremely special time in my life because of the site and the people I met - many of whom are still here today.

Much has changed since then - I don't play D&D much, and the playing I do is all about the friendships and camaraderie and has little or nothing to do with the actual game itself. I did not keep up with 4th edition, I am not following Next, and I let my Pathfinder subscription lapse several years ago. Over the past two years I have sold off all but a core collection of my stuff.

And yet ... there is a spot in my brain that can only be tickled by reading particular products I used a lot, or read frequently; or by reading through campaign logs and reliving old campaigns. And likewise there's a spot in my brain (and my soul?) that finds particular pleasure in coming back here now and then to see what's going on, to post in the current month's "What are you reading" thread in the off-topic forum. I get the most, best pleasure from seeing folks having a fruitful and interesting discussion and knowing that maybe, in some small way, I had something to do with it.

Anyway, enjoy the archive!

Wow, cool.

I'm tempted to use a dial-up modem via AOL to connect, just for old-times sake.

And hey -- why doesn't EN have more XP? He should rank just one step below Gygax!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Oh my! Look what I just found! Screenshots of these very forums 13 years ago. August 2000 and August 2001.

forum_august_2000.jpg

forum_august_2001.jpg

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I will say I am (probably unjustly) proud of the April Fools stuff in particular. It was fun for me if no one else. :)

The best part of that for me - the joke I still remember making me nearly fall off my chair - was the "Dungeons or Dragons" one.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases