D&D 5E Wow! No more subraces. The Players Handbook races reformat to the new race format going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Um... doesn't every race have diplomats and ambassadors? Isn't that kind of the point of the position? Same with merchants, everyone has merchants. And a lot of people definitely have magistrates.

So, if this is your evidence, basically everyone would be mental stat heavy.

The element of air from the Elemental Plane of Air? Aether? What did the ancient world think we breathed before we discovered Carbon Dioxide?

Take Beholders just for a moment. They are created out of dreams. They aren't born then grow, there is no egg or larva, a Beholder dreams and then a new fully formed beholder just appears in the world. How would they have genetics? Why would they have genetics, there is no genetic information being passed on.

Just because we know genetics is true in the real world doesn't mean it is necessarily true in a fantasy world.
Aaaaaaand none of that matters, because they are all separate races in all editions. Especially 5e that, once again, has.................no.............planetouched....................category.

Unless you can defeat those facts, why even bother with other stuff? You're just spinning your wheels on a bunch of irrelevancies.

Scribe

Legend
I think it's not just that. 5e comes with the bagage of older editions. In 3e and 4e 16 would be a low stat for your primary stat. So a lot of players will think 14 is absurd...

In the end I don't think that math is a good reason to change the game, but seeing how things could be... there are a lot of better ways to represent physical differences in races other than ASIs.
Sure. I'm well beyond worrying about racial ASI rehashing. It is what it is.

In terms of any discussion about balance though? When the math is what is, and the 'potential' is wildly higher than the baseline 50%?

Sorry, but I'm going to be laughing all day. :D

Scribe

Legend
okay, then at least admit it isn't 'balance' you are worried about as much as 'play style'

if you don't care what WoTC says about there own game, then how can you claim to know better?
Balance is what I'm worried about.

As I noted yesterday, the definition of balance is the crux of the issue, and as you note, will be a table by table concern.

Wizards isn't tightly tuning the game though, looking at the options, the basic math, you'll have a really hard time convincing me otherwise.

Bolares

Hero
Sure. I'm well beyond worrying about racial ASI rehashing. It is what it is.

In terms of any discussion about balance though? When the math is what is, and the 'potential' is wildly higher than the baseline 50%?

Sorry, but I'm going to be laughing all day. :D
Balance is thrown out of the window in 5e because they missed some core things in their assumptions. They decided hitting the enemy is more fun than missing, so AC's got lower and HP got higher. Monster would theoretically live longer, but players would hit most of the time. The problem is they underestimated the power of a full party hitting all the time. Action economy seemed to not be a factor in encounter balancing on early 5e (it's a little better now, but not much). That coupled with the fact that monster attacks were reeeeeally boring made for a pretty lame encounter building, and it was broken from the start.

Scribe

Legend
Balance is thrown out of the window in 5e because they missed some core things in their assumptions. They decided hitting the enemy is more fun than missing, so AC's got lower and HP got higher. Monster would theoretically live longer, but players would hit most of the time. The problem is they underestimated the power of a full party hitting all the time. Action economy seemed to not be a factor in encounter balancing on early 5e (it's a little better now, but not much). That coupled with the fact that monster attacks were reeeeeally boring made for a pretty lame encounter building, and it was broken from the start.
It's very funny to me.

I play WoW, the Classic versions.

The most important stat up to a point?

+hit :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads