D&D 5E Wow! No more subraces. The Players Handbook races reformat to the new race format going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scribe

Legend
You're really happy with this one huh? :ROFLMAO: :p
Quite.

People are free to like different things. No problem.

People are free to want too optimize. No problem.

The DMG and XGtE however tell us the expected CR by level.

People can no longer tell me the game is balanced around a 16 at level one, and expect me to accept that as truth. ;)

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Average, will have examples higher, and lower.

What is presented by Wizards is not an average, it would be a recommendation, a suggestion.

It would also be logical to make it as simple as possible, for pre-gens, and also very effective, for new players to jump in and have success with.

Ultimately none of this speaks to any fundamental, mathematical truth, which says 16 is required.

Because it is not.

Again.
I don't anyone is saying a 16 primary is required.
It's just that it is assumed and most players and DMs will assume all PCs have it. And they will make other assumptions if you don't have one.

Just like in 5e, everyone assumes that you CON will be over 9. Not that a CON of 9 or lower breaks the game. Just it is very unusual.

WOTC taught this to the player base and the player base responded in a way they didn't expect.

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
@Chaosmancer believes a 16 is the baseline assumption of 5e. At least that's what he argued to me in a prior thread. I argued that it was 14 or maybe 14-16.

Baseline assumption and Requirement are 2 different things

The baseline is a 16 in your class primary

Your character is only required to not be an active liability to the party when playing to your character strength..

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Baseline assumption and Requirement are 2 different things

The baseline is a 16 in your class primary

Your character is only required to not be an active liability to the party when playing to your character strength..
I think if you roll stats that you can't be assured a 16 in your primary, but a 14 is hard not to have. The game's ease via bounded accuracy means that having a 14 still means that you do very well. That's why I say 14 or 14-16.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads