D&D 5E Wow! No more subraces. The Players Handbook races reformat to the new race format going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I don't think a few example characters set the gold standard.
For a beginner it is not a bad choice however.

I also think a 14 is perfectly workable and if I play my Goliath bard, I will still put at least +1 into Strength, to get that nice 16 there. I will however probably use the +2 to get my cha and dex to 14.

I was just saying that the characters are how WOTC was recommending in creation and the way they presented creation would carry on assumptions in the community.

It's just that the community of 5e was not as conservative as the design and development teams. This caused the removal of racial abilities and the possibility of removal of some purely setting or cultural subraces.

I was just saying that the characters are how WOTC was recommending in creation and the way they presented creation would carry on assumptions in the community.

It's just that the community of 5e was not as conservative as the design and development teams. This caused the removal of racial abilities and the possibility of removal of some purely setting or cultural subraces.
I hope in 5.5 backgrounds may carry a bit more mechanical weight. That is maybe a few weapon and armor proficiencies for a soldier. Something substancial for the sage and so on. Everything cultural can go in there. Or maybe we get a 4th pillar to chose from: culture.

Maybe losing subraces.

So high elf culture could give one cantrip, some weapon proficiencies. Maybe it is not called high elf culture, but magical heritage. Maybe culture can be customized as backgounds. That is something to explore.
I would love a soldier/wizard, with light armor and short sword proficiency.

I actually tend to neglect background a bit, because it does not carry enough weight for my tastes. If my wizard was a soldier and had no armor proficiencies or weapon training, it creates a slight disconnect. (Although the wizard could well be a crossbow man or a healer).

Scribe

Legend
I hope in 5.5 backgrounds may carry a bit more mechanical weight. That is maybe a few weapon and armor proficiencies for a soldier. Something substancial for the sage and so on. Everything cultural can go in there. Or maybe we get a 4th pillar to chose from: culture.

Maybe losing subraces.

So high elf culture could give one cantrip, some weapon proficiencies. Maybe it is not called high elf culture, but magical heritage. Maybe culture can be customized as backgounds. That is something to explore.

I actually tend to neglect background a bit, because it does not carry enough weight for my tastes. If my wizard was a soldier and had no armor proficiencies or weapon training, it creates a slight disconnect. (Although the wizard could well be a crossbow man or a healer).
It should be at least 3, if not 4 or 5 aspects to a character.

Race
Background
Culture/Heritage
Class

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter

Maybe losing subraces.

Well A background is about worth a mediocre feat. Basically the Skilled feat.

Getting proficiency in Arcana and woodcarver's tools and 1 wizard or warlock cantrip for the Arcanist background for a magey or high elf.

The gaming set could be traded for a martial weapon for Soldier. It woulda been great if 5.5e had exotic weapons so a soldier fight could know how to use a local weapon that is exotic to the rest of the world. Or maybe was taught weapons of distant origin by the army.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I think 5e should have made half human races sub races... teifling aasimar and half elf

They are default part human anyways, it would make sense.

In my homebrew I've been playing with the idea of having Tieflings, Aasimar, Genasi and Shifters as humans altered by ambient magic, leaning into the human adaptability angle by having them more easily altered by such powers.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Once again you declare up to be down. I provided reasons. They are not one race, because they have never in the history been presented as a unified race, but they have in every edition been presented as individual races.

No, they have been presented as the children of other races. Or results of planar energy.

And "unified"? Since when is unification needed and what do you even mean by it?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No, they have been presented as the children of other races. Or results of planar energy.

And "unified"? Since when is unification needed and what do you even mean by it?
When are you going to address that planetouched isn't even a thing in 5e?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
They are default part human anyways, it would make sense.

In my homebrew I've been playing with the idea of having Tieflings, Aasimar, Genasi and Shifters as humans altered by ambient magic, leaning into the human adaptability angle by having them more easily altered by such powers.
That's a really cool homebrew. Me, I think I'm going to go the other direction and hearken back to an earlier edition when these bloodlines could be in any race. Why shouldn't there be a genie blooded halfling or celestial blooded elf?

Chaosmancer

Legend
When are you going to address that planetouched isn't even a thing in 5e?

The moment you can prove that Tieflings, Aasimar, and Genasi don't exist in 5e. Or that they don't represent people infused with the energies of the planes.

That's a really cool homebrew. Me, I think I'm going to go the other direction and hearken back to an earlier edition when these bloodlines could be in any race. Why shouldn't there be a genie blooded halfling or celestial blooded elf?

I thought about going that route, but it is a much harder route, as it requires figuring out a way to balance getting elf abilities and the bloodline abilities.

It should be at least 3, if not 4 or 5 aspects to a character.

Race
Background
Culture/Heritage
Class
I think race is a bad word now so I expect 5.5 will be

Heritage Background culture class

in a perfect world we would have something like the 4e theme replace the background...

for those of you that don't know that is a first level feature, a 5th level feature and in 4e it gave some powers.

Imagine combining theme with background so that you got a bit more to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads