Wrath of the Titans (spoilers)

Yes, fair point Joker.

Another thing that has been baffling me is that Hollywood seems to have forgotten that conflict, both emotional and physical, is best engineered between opposites, or at any rate people of different 'character'.

In Wrath of the Titans the principle party is made up of basically three characters who are almost interchangeable in their dialogue and actions.

Whereas in say Star Wars or even the D&D cartoon, each character has just that - a clearly defined 'character'. One's a pessimist, another's an optimist, one's a coward, the other's reckless, one's naive, one's wise, etc.

Between all that you get characters reacting off each other.

In Wrath, because there's so little definition in character for the main protagonists, there's no friction (either playful or serious) between them.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Makai Troops (End Battle): Move far too fast to really focus on what's happening. Ruined opportunity because the designs were cool. Also did anyone else notice that one of the mortal armies tactics for keeping the makai at bay was to have a load of flaming trenches on the battlefield - AGAINST FIRE BEINGS THAT HAVE JUST BEEN SHOT OUT OF A VOLCANO!

That would drive me nuts. Hell- that IS driving me nuts.

Is it really that the public prefers s**t?

A wise Roman once said something very smart about bread & circuses, and an American said something about not going broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people...

The sad fact is that spectacle, not quality, rules the taste of the public at large. Aiming for the lowest common denominator is an effective business strategy.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Hiya, UK! :)

Well, you talked me out of even seeing it at all. I had hopes that once out from under the yolk of trying to remake a bad movie, and being able to construct their own tale and tie it up with cutting edge effects, we'd be in for a sequel better than the movie it is following. Such a shame. :(

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I watched the first 2/3 of the remade Clash last weekend and couldn't believe how bad it was (in my opinion). How did a sequel get made?

Yeah, I don't know what people were except the sequel to a very awful movie.

Let's be honest, the original Clash of Titans wasn't a great movie by any means, but it was charmingly done. The remake represented everything (IMHO) that is wrong with Hollywood and movie making.

But anyway, the sequel got made because the original remake did extremely well outside of the US.

Hey RangerWickett! :)

RangerWickett said:
Is the flaw in the writing? The acting? The directing? Is it just that things didn't congeal, or is there a specific part of the process that failed most dramatically?

Like, if you're going to spend so much money, why not get it right? Is it really that the public prefers s**t?

The flaw is in the writing, acting AND directing...and thats when things turn into a mess.

The characters are pretty bland, interchangeable, there's no emotion in anything. The action scenes are either too fast (makai, minotaur), badly edited (chimera) or lack any kind of verisimilitude (some of the Ares fights).

Hey Danny! :)

Dannyalcatraz said:
That would drive me nuts. Hell- that IS driving me nuts.

I was watching it and wondering didn't anyone pick up on this? Surely a more effective strategy would have been filling those trenches with water. Or maybe a scene where they try to hold the line against the makai while another group burst a dam and flood part of the battlefield.

A wise Roman once said something very smart about bread & circuses, and an American said something about not going broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people...

The sad fact is that spectacle, not quality, rules the taste of the public at large. Aiming for the lowest common denominator is an effective business strategy.

It looks like this is tanking at the box office. So word of mouth still amounts for something.

Fast Learner said:
I watched the first 2/3 of the remade Clash last weekend and couldn't believe how bad it was (in my opinion). How did a sequel get made?

It made loads of money at the box office.

Personally I thought Clash was okay, not great, but it tried to build some characters, it had a decent ensemble cast and there were consequences - people actually got killed. The action scenes were pretty good (Scorpions, Kraken, Medusa, Calibos). I own the dvd and some of the deleted scenes make a lot more sense of the story. Overall its a satisfactory effort.

This sequel has none of that. The main characters are bland and interchangeable. The supporting characters are just nobodies who get killed, but they spend no time introducing them so we don't care. The action scenes are not as good (other than the Cyclops scene which is brilliant).

Mark CMG said:
Hiya, UK! :)

Hey Mark mate! :)

Hope you have been keeping well?

Well, you talked me out of even seeing it at all. I had hopes that once out from under the yolk of trying to remake a bad movie, and being able to construct their own tale and tie it up with cutting edge effects, we'd be in for a sequel better than the movie it is following. Such a shame. :(

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

Its just worse in every department.

For example there are three fights with Ares. In all the fights he basically stands still and people bounce off him. Contrast that with say, the fight between Achilles and Hector in Troy, or even the fight Ares delivers in Immortals and what we have in Wrath is just a boring mess by comparison.

Remove ads