Wrath of the Titans (spoilers)

Went to see this last night (in 2D).

In a nutshell, its terrible. Really disappointing.

I'll probably add a longer review when I sort out my thoughts but really seemed like there was no story. There's nothing sacrificed. The characters are throwaway. There's no gravitas to the action.

Perseus has literally been given 'God Mode' in this movie because he has infinite hit points. Ares is smashing his head through MULTIPLE pillars, then heel stomping him into solid stone and crushing the stone beneath him. I mean I know the character of Perseus is a 'demigod' of sorts but after you see him take the beating you get the impression nothing can hurt him.

I love (looking at) Rosamund Pike, but her character basically does nothing. She's just 'there'.

Aginor (The son of Poseidon) has a few nice comedic lines, but too few and far between.

Hephaestus (Bill Nighy) wasn't great and really isn't in it long.

Zeus (Liam Neeson) and Hades (Ralph Fiennes) were, for the most part, "dialling it in".

Ares couldn't really hold the role of main villain. The actor played him like a stoner. I expected the god of war to be angrier.

The supporting cast that accompany the main three heroes on the quest virtually have no lines and thus no character. So we don't care when the inevitable happens to these 'red shirts'...unlike the first movie where we got to know some of the characters.

Kronos also does almost nothing and could never make out what he was saying (which wasn't much).

The ending is too predictable. There is no sense of impending doom.

The first movie had its flaws, but was saved by the action scenes.

In this one there are several action scenes:

1. Chimera battle: Pretty good scrap, although the editing made it seem like Perseus' son gets barbecued, Perseus doesn't react, goes to heal his wounds then his son pops his head round the corner. He was right in the line of sight when it breathed on him for goodness sake! WTF!?

2. Perseus' Flashforward Vision Apocalypse of Kronos: Actually a better showing of Kronos' power than the end fight. Too brief though, lasts about 10 seconds.

3. Cyclops Battle: Easily the best scene in the movie by far.

4. 1st Ares Battle: Ares catching the dagger was cool but after that the rest was wishy washy. He kills an unarmed girl to show how bad he is. Moral of the story - don't pray for war kids!

5. Minotaur: Utterly irrelevant, too quick, edited so fast we can't see what's going on.

6. 2nd Ares battle: Functional (given the not so surprise twist) but otherwise unremarkable.

7. Makai Troops (End Battle): Move far too fast to really focus on what's happening. Ruined opportunity because the designs were cool. Also did anyone else notice that one of the mortal armies tactics for keeping the makai at bay was to have a load of flaming trenches on the battlefield - AGAINST FIRE BEINGS THAT HAVE JUST BEEN SHOT OUT OF A VOLCANO!

Its actually made me think about the stop motion animation of the Harryhausen era and why so much CGI nowadays seems pointless. The Makai are a great example of this. In something like Jason and the Argonauts, the director not only gives time for us to see the skeletons when introduced, but also there will be moments when the skeletons (or other monsters) will pause, rear up, or otherwise act 'real'. With the makai scene the bloody things are constantly on the move and virtually so fast we don't have time to appreciate them.

8. 3rd Ares battle: Devolved into fisticuffs much too quickly. I mean between them they have the 3 most powerful weapons in existence, but lets do some WRESTLING! For basically the third fight running Ares looks like he's not really trying.

9. Kronos (End Battle): Kronos almost does nothing (even though in the flashforward sequence at the start he seemed awesome). Okay thats not quite the case, he sort of punches the ground causing big nuke like shockwaves and later he shoots fire out of his eyes (which Pegasus goes through unscathed). Takes a few attacks from Zeus (which daze him for a few seconds).

Okay, so what did I like...?

The aforementioned cyclop's scene is great. Ares has this really cool mace that has such a satisfying crunch (with accompanying sparks) which is neat. Aginor has a few good lines (and one great line*). I fancy Rosamund Pike (but she looked better in the equally bad Doom movie). I like the design of the makai. The Kronos flashforward scene was tasty.

* ;)

Everything else was basically dirt.

A generous 3 out of 10. Can't see this getting a third instalment.

Clash of the Titans.
Wrath of the Titans.
Crash of the Titans?
Blast of the Titans?
Bath of the Titans?
Math of the Titans?
Laugh of the Titans?
Half of the Titans (part one)?

Joker

First Post
I have to say, I kind of felt this one coming. I'll still see it, possibly buzzed, because I can see an unlimited amount of movies for a small monthly fee and the visuals should be impressive.

Maybe it's because I watch so many movies but it's becoming increasingly hard to find good, entertaining stuff coming out of mainstream Hollywood.

American cinema (generally speaking) is about taking your audience for an emotional ride, making them part of the experience. A lot of this comes from making the audience feel for the the characters involved. And it seems to me, a lot of studios opt to ignore basic elements of story telling and character development. Instead, adhering to a notion that if your brain can't process the information on the screen they've done a good job.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And it seems to me, a lot of studios opt to ignore basic elements of story telling and character development. Instead, adhering to a notion that if your brain can't process the information on the screen they've done a good job.

Well, yes, but maybe not for the reason you think. It seems to me that actual good storytelling isn't easy. And attempting it, and failing, gets worse results than if you don't try.

Joker

First Post
Well, yes, but maybe not for the reason you think. It seems to me that actual good storytelling isn't easy. And attempting it, and failing, gets worse results than if you don't try.

Good storytelling is incredibly hard, easily one of the hardest parts of filmmaking.

However, I refuse to believe that there is any lack of skill or talent in America to make good movies.

Hey Joker! :)

Joker said:
I have to say, I kind of felt this one coming. I'll still see it, possibly buzzed, because I can see an unlimited amount of movies for a small monthly fee and the visuals should be impressive.

Maybe it's because I watch so many movies but it's becoming increasingly hard to find good, entertaining stuff coming out of mainstream Hollywood.

American cinema (generally speaking) is about taking your audience for an emotional ride, making them part of the experience. A lot of this comes from making the audience feel for the the characters involved. And it seems to me, a lot of studios opt to ignore basic elements of story telling and character development. Instead, adhering to a notion that if your brain can't process the information on the screen they've done a good job.

Agreed. Rubbish Hollywood movies are becoming increasingly more frequent.

For some reason, somebody thought it would be a good idea to give $150 Million to the director of Battle: Los Angeles (itself a rubbish movie by general consensus) and have him direct Wrath of the Titans. I mean in what job do you get promoted for being rubbish.

Joker

First Post
Hey Joker! :)

Agreed. Rubbish Hollywood movies are becoming increasingly more frequent.

For some reason, somebody thought it would be a good idea to give $150 Million to the director of Battle: Los Angeles (itself a rubbish movie by general consensus) and have him direct Wrath of the Titans. I mean in what job do you get promoted for being rubbish.

Hello Upper_Krust,

I don't know how much a director influences how a movie is made in these kind of studio movies. I suppose it depends a lot on the clout of the director and of the people signing the checks.
As long as your turd shines bright gold you can get hired to crank out a few more.

Which answers Fast Learner's question.

Battle Los Angeles has an average budget of 70 million and made a cool 210 million.

Clash of the Titans cost 125 million and made close to 500 million.

So that's how these sort of movies keep getting made, plain and simple. And if I were to go to the theatre twice a year I would probably be quite impressed with the spectacle. However, I've been exposed to so many great films so frequently that this sort of cinema doesn't appeal to me.
And I only find it unfortunate because the potential is certainly there.

Is the flaw in the writing? The acting? The directing? Is it just that things didn't congeal, or is there a specific part of the process that failed most dramatically?

Like, if you're going to spend so much money, why not get it right? Is it really that the public prefers s**t?

Remove ads