• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Wulf's BARAKUS FOLLIES] LOST CITY OF BARAKUS TPK...?

Harmon

First Post
Numion said:
Whichever you choose, its likely that that's the last time they negotiate with opponents :]

I agree.

Seems to be right up there with- "no one uses their familar for scouting?" First time one scouts forward he dies. Wonder why no one uses their familar as a scout now?

I learned long ago- don't bother questioning the goons, they never know anything. Leads to a lack of clues.

In short- your Players learn by what the GM teaches them.

Endur

First Post
Slavery, Not TPK

I vote for Slavery, not TPK. TPK just ends the campaign, and setting up a good slavery situation is hard.

You could even use it to set up further plots ... i.e. have them taken to Alverenz base (queen of lies) and have them "escape" from her (maybe let go on purpose).

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
twofalls said:
Hmm. One person said it, but the wrong way.

One of the first laws of GMing is, “what would be most fun now”, for your players NOT for your NPC's or monsters. I'm not suggesting you don't know this, I'm responding to the above quote.

Well, of course, I was being facetious. The goal of the game is to have fun for everyone involved. I think that sometimes this means big losses for the players, because how can you value a win if you never are at risk of losing? One of the most memorable incidents in my own DM'ing career was when the party took an ill-advised excursion into a warehouse they knew was controlled by very bad people. They were caught, and sent a long, long ways away to be enslaved in a gladatorial ring. I think fun was had by the players - it happened 10 years ago, and it's still brought up.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Endur said:
You could even use it to set up further plots ... i.e. have them taken to Alverenz base (queen of lies) and have them "escape" from her (maybe let go on purpose).

I hadn't really thought that far in advance, but one of Alevolenz' motivations is to deliberately spark a war with the surface world.

Normally, humiliating a few adventurers and then leaving them alive to seek vengeance would be folly.

In this case...

Wulf

S'mon

Legend
BTW, AIR as written the drow are pretty weak compared to 4th level PCs, I wouldn't bet on them being successfully captured, except maybe the Paladin. And if you & player are up for it a boudoir scene between drow priestess & captive Paladin could be a heck of a lot of fun - for the dialogue, of course, the dialogue... :) Generally, I find letting some/all of the PCs be captured, followed by a rescue/escape attempt next session, is the best way to handle this kind of situation.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
I see only one problem, the drow don't have a clue how strong the party is. So why risk taking them on without knowing how strong they are? Why not let them have their encounter with the hydra, let the drow help (a bit, nothing to strong). I'm sure the drow will be happy to have another threat removed, not to mention the loot the hydra would have. At the same time the drow priestess has time to gauge the strengths (and weaknesses) of the party, not to mention the resources they have to expend to defeat the hydra. If they are to strong the drow priestess feigns "I was so sure the Hydra had the token", if they are not to strong the priestess offers them death or slavery (if they surrender without a fight all the better for the drow). This way the choice of slavery or death belongs to the characters/players and drives home their own 'stupidity' a bit more solid. The paladin should remain unharmed until the priestess decides wether or not she can 'take them', if she decides to 'take them on' then she would show up enforce on the paladin's doorstep stating "your friends surrendered peacefully, i would advice you do the same" (whether or not they surrendered).

btw. I don't think they are 'stupid' to try to negotiate with drow, maybe a bit naive to trust drow.

monboesen

Explorer
While it might be most players choise to take death over slavery it surely should not be most characters choise (and nor would it be the players choise in real life).

So I'll vote for a suitable humiliating slavery experience. If it can be coupled with setting them free as a long reaching plot device by the drow (or someone else) its even better. If it can be done in a way that will leave them in some sort of honor debt its just gravy.

Nothing brings up the spirit (and hatred) in players (and thus the characters) than realising that they have been played for dupes and done exactly what their enemies wanted.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads