WWII Era Tactics, Weird Wars

Lord Ben

First Post
What are good WWII era tactics to use in the context of small-unit action in Weird Wars? Artillery and Aircraft I probably won't use.

Lay down cover fire, advance under the cover fire, destroy enemy with grenades is the main idea I have from books/movies. What is the best way to use tanks? They seem pretty vulnerable in a game mechanics stand-point. Charge with guns blazing? Stay back and fire? Two good bazooka rounds seems like it'd take one out fairly easily.

BobROE

Explorer
With respect to Tanks.

It really depends on the enironment but in general they should stay out of urban environments unless infantry has already gone in and cleared an area out and even then it's not a great idea. It also depends on what they're facing, if there are other tanks on the field then they will have to move around to try to get them (unless you have AT teams which can do that instead) otherwise they should just be used as mobile artillery. I don't know the game you're playing but if it's historically accurate then bazooka effectiveness varies depending on where a tank is struck from, especially german tanks (the heavier ones could take numerous bazooka rounds to the frontal armor without being damaged/destroyed) of course game rules may not make this possible.

Hejdun

First Post
More on tanks.

Most tanks had the ability to destroy their counterpart at decent ranges. Some tanks couldn't (a Sherman, for example, will have trouble knocking out a Panther from the front), but it is likely that there was something on the field that had the potential. That means that a tank out in the open is likely a dead tank.

Also, tank crews really can't hear or see much. That's why urban combat was so deadly for them. They wouldn't be able to see any bazooka (or panzerfaust) teams lurking around. It's very easy to sneak around and blow them away from the rear.

For small(er) unit action, you should definately look up some MG tactics, particularly for the MG42, since German infantry doctrine relied heavily on the machine gun.

bwgwl

First Post
if it's within your discretionary income budget to pick up more books, the GURPS World War II line of sourcebooks have some interesting articles on the tactics of the time (as well as a wealth of other information about the war).

cptg1481

First Post
Perhaps This.....

As a 16 year Army guy I think the best thing for you to do if you have a few dollars laying around is to go to the local Military Surplus type store and buy a few field manuals (FM)'s. I think that the actual WWII era ones are going to be too expensive for you since they are most likely collectors items. However, tactics especially small unit tactics (company and below) have not changed significantly throughout the years and the newer versions will work just fine.

A few to look for are FM 7-8 Infantry Rifle Platoon and Squad tactics. FM 7-10 Infantry Rifle Company

These outline unit composition by individual and rank and the requirements of each person. It will give you the types of missions they can perform and how to plan, coordinate and execute them by the numbers.

It also will give you insight into how they get resupply, evacuate the wounded and even how far they can move per day and how much they can carry.

I know that these are not classified and should be easy to get. They might even be availiable on line via the army homepage. You'll have to look...perhaps The Training and Doctrine Command at Ft Leavenworth KS has them for download? Anyway, if you have a specific question feel free to e-mail me and I'll try and help. Any tactics is a broad request and these books can help you get it squared away (you gotta use army terms to make a game realistic). I know that I have seen these books in the US Cav store in Fayetteville NC so you could look on line. I'd say the two of them together can't be more than 20.00. But don't quote me on that.

Cheers,
Captain G.

Last edited:

Lord Ben

First Post
Well, I don't really need to be an accomplished battlefield commander in order to play weird wars. I just wanted pointers. The system does take frontal armor into effect, each vehicle has it's own stat block. I appreciate the leads, but it's way more effort then I wanted to go through for a 1 or 2 night game.

I was planning on having them parachute in on D-day and defend some road or bridge from attack.

Remove ads