D&D General Www.tsr.com is dead after all these decades

Dausuul

Legend
If you own the domain name, it costs zero to redirect the page. It's a single line of code.
Well, it isn't quite zero since you do have to pay somebody to write that line of code, and (more importantly) remember to update it if the redirect target changes. But yeah, it's a negligible cost.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Well, it isn't quite zero since you do have to pay somebody to write that line of code, and (more importantly) remember to update it if the redirect target changes. But yeah, it's a negligible cost.

You really shouldn't need to pay anyone. It's that simple, and you can use any notepad software to cut and paste the code. Literally all you'd need to edit is the name of the old url and the name of the new url, and then upload the file to the server using ftp. Your ISP should be able to walk you through it. Heck, it's so simple your ISP would probably do it for free for you.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You really shouldn't need to pay anyone. It's that simple, and you can use any notepad software to cut and paste the code. Literally all you'd need to edit is the name of the old url and the name of the new url, and then upload the file to the server using ftp. Your ISP should be able to walk you through it. Heck, it's so simple your ISP would probably do it for free for you.

They may even have a UI for setting up forwarding!

marv

Explorer
I wish WoTC had understood the significance and given the domain to a worthy site, such as ENWorld. Instead, now it will go to the highest bidder.

As a thought experiment, what if instead of just dropping the domain, WoTC had sold it in a charity auction. If their reason was to distance themselves from the older product because of recent reasons (that I am trying real hard to keep out of this thread), why not use profits of the sale to support a relavent charity? It would be a great PR move for WoTC. Plus, I can invision a few deep pocket old school nerds out there would have jumped on it. A win win.

Now, who knows. Maybe TSR, Inc. (a real computer consultant company in NY) will buy it and the domain will leave the hobby forever.

I guess “All good things must come to an end.” Chaucer, 1374

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I just don't get why some of you are taking this as a personal afront or thinking that there's some deeper meaning behind this. I get it that to those with a utilitary complaint, using it as a shortcut to the D&D website, would be annoyed, but beyond that it's quite a tempest in a teapot.

Wishbone

Paladin Radmaster
It's been twenty-three years since TSR went defunct and I don't think the company holds a special place in the hearts of most younger gamers these days.

Unless that D&D movie comes out and its a biopic about Gary Gygax, Dave Arneson, and the history of the game developing until TSR was acquired by WotC that is.

Remove ads