D&D General Www.tsr.com is dead after all these decades

marv

Explorer
Given WotC has DungeonsandDragons.com redirect to the homepage but not DND.com I'm wondering what the hesitation on getting domain name redirects is. Maybe they're more expensive than I would expect.
Maintaining a domain is super cheap. I suspect this decision was made by someone who didn’t understand the significance and just wanted to clear the clutter. Or it was made to distance the company from the older products. But either way, whoever scooped it up will probably get a pretty penny for it. Makes me sad.

Orius

Legend
What difference does it make though? TSR is long dead, and most of the old guard who remember it knows the company is dead. The real diehard grogs probably don't even go near the website any more, and why should they? Anything pre-5e over there is buried in a collection of half-broken links that the main page doesn't connect to. Newer players might not be all that aware of what TSR even was.

Stormonu

Legend
Huh, that's odd - didn't know that even existed still (well, had). Looks like the old page was just a redirect to D&D Official Homepage | Dungeons & Dragons , and even that page has been taken down on WotC's site. The Wayback Machine now directed it to D&D Official Homepage | Dungeons & Dragons . [edit: the forum is apparently trying to compensate for the actual URL. If you hover your mouse over the hyperlink, it shows the URL it's pointing to] I did a quick browse through the Wayback machine and they have snapshots back to 1997 (in poor shape) - though it looks like even that far back it was still a redirect to WotC's site.

Sad to say, in many ways I'm glad the TSR era is over. They were very anti-fan in the early digital age and the game was (to me) stagnant. I had done drifted off to the likes of Vampire and other RPG's even before TSR was having a coronary. And this is coming from someone who at one time wanted to work as a D&D designer, even going to a seminar they held to learn the ropes and get published (though I think they'd been bought by WotC at that time - it's been a while).

Orcslayer78

Explorer
Maintaining a domain is super cheap. I suspect this decision was made by someone who didn’t understand the significance and just wanted to clear the clutter. Or it was made to distance the company from the older products. But either way, whoever scooped it up will probably get a pretty penny for it. Makes me sad.
Yeah, everybody can see they're treating legacy products like the old unwanted relative at the thanksgiving dinner.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It's time for all the true fans of D&D to step back from Wotc while it spits on the grave of Gary Gygax, there are other ways to play without supporting Wotc, true fans can play old school of buy from studios who make 5e compatible products and want to keep it true.
“True Fans”?
Spitting on Gygax’s grave?

Dude, dial back the purple prose or just leave the thread if current developments at WotC- especially minor things like letting an old URL die- are driving you to fire broadsides like this.

And:

I can disagree with someone without insulting them.
IOW, prove it.

Orius

Legend
TSR had a website for no more than a year before they went bankrupt anyway, before that they glommed onto AOL IIRC. They were a bit slow with the web thing. I wasn't online yet then. And their domain pointed to tsrinc to show everyone how soulessly corporate they were. WotC dropped in inc part.

Remove ads