D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide errata coming

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
For a specific rule to trump a general rule there needs to actually be a specific rule in existence. You've made an assumption as to the purpose of healing spirit that doesn't line up with the general rule, any specific rule, or the devs who created the errata to demonstrate healing spirit is over-performing.

That still leaves healing spirit superior in every way to the very similar and higher level aura of vitality.

There's "above it's weight class" and "significantly outperforming every single similar spell in the game". The only healing spells that are worthwhile in comparison are heal, power word heal, and mass heal because they can heal points faster, but healing spirit is worth a lot more healing in the same slots. A 9th level slot is 280 hp per target (28 per turn) barring shenanigans.

Prayer of Healing heals 45hp per target in a 9th level slot. Clearly just a bit out of it's weight class. ;)

Healing spirit looks like it meets your idea of power creep to me. And then some. ;)

You need to click on the correct link within the sage advice doc. The errata is official.
HS is more or less a short rest for a spell slot. It doesn’t give abilities back, but also doesn’t cost HD.
A full short rest can be gained safely and secretly for the whole party with rope trick, or can be gained quickly for some of the party with catnap.
The numbers matter a lot more in combat, wherein actually healing most or all the party a significant amount with it will be harder.

And the errata barely reduces the number of heals that will actually happen in most cases, it mostly just increases what you have to keep track of.

It’s a change to satisfy people scared of power gamers.

Olrox17

Hero
It’s a change to satisfy people scared of power gamers.
Really now, dude. Are you that mad about this change that you’re going to basically call everyone that disagrees with you a coward? Just don’t use this errata, jeez.

You know, I said before that I don’t really care about AL, but I’m going to take a guess and say that Wotc probably received the harshest feedback on HS from organized play folk. After all, they can’t just houserule stuff, they must stick to the RAW.
I’d say this errata is mostly for them.

doctorbadwolf

Really now, dude. Are you that mad about this change that you’re going to basically call everyone that disagrees with you a coward? Just don’t use this errata, jeez.

You know, I said before that I don’t really care about AL, but I’m going to take a guess and say that Wotc probably received the harshest feedback on HS from organized play folk. After all, they can’t just houserule stuff, they must stick to the RAW.
I’d say this errata is mostly for them.
🙄 a reference to fear is not inherently calling someone a coward. Don’t be ridiculous.

doctorbadwolf

Implying a certain opinion or position to be a consequence of fear is usually considered disparaging and not really respectful.
That’s nonsense. Everyone is afraid of stuff. That’s being alive. I’m not gonna further engage with this hyperbolic silliness.

Olrox17

Hero
That’s nonsense. Everyone is afraid of stuff. That’s being alive. I’m not gonna further engage with this hyperbolic silliness.
So if I say, for the sake of example, that people don't want Wotc to issue this kind of errata because they are afraid of losing their overpowered power gamer tools, I suppose you'll see nothing wrong with this statement. Whatever. I'm dropping this discussion as well.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
So if I say, for the sake of example, that people don't want Wotc to issue this kind of errata because they are afraid of losing their overpowered power gamer tools, I suppose you'll see nothing wrong with this statement.
Sounds like errataphobia to me.

doctorbadwolf

So if I say, for the sake of example, that people don't want Wotc to issue this kind of errata because they are afraid of losing their overpowered power gamer tools, I suppose you'll see nothing wrong with this statement. Whatever. I'm dropping this discussion as well.
Lol I’d roll my eyes at the thought that anyone who thinks this was unnecessary is a powergamer, but otherwise no. Why would I care?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Actually I agree with that statement. WotC needs to stop being afraid to annoy the munchkins& give GMs some standardized reworks for some of the well known problematic parts of 5e long overdue errata

Remove ads