• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide to Everything: Spells

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yes. They could have expanded the Sacred Rites downtime activity, for instance. Not all magical effects need to be via spells. Unfortunately, in this case I've got the weight of tradition going against me, since ceremony dates back to 1e or thereabouts.
Can't it just be cast as a ritual...?

flametitan

Explorer
I'm hoping that the revisions to the Elemental Evil spells get back ported as errata for the Elemental Evil Player's Companion, simply because it's annoying to have two sources list the same spell but have them differ.

pukunui

Legend
Can't it just be cast as a ritual...?
It already is, more or less. (It's one of those spells that takes longer than an action but still requires you to expend a spell slot, so technically you can't cast it "as a ritual" by the book.)

I honestly can't say why this one spell bothers me as much as it does.

gyor

Legend
It already is, more or less. (It's one of those spells that takes longer than an action but still requires you to expend a spell slot, so technically you can't cast it "as a ritual" by the book.)

I honestly can't say why this one spell bothers me as much as it does.

The Ceremony spell has the ritual tag so yes you can cast it without expending a spell slot to cast it. Even Investiture doesn't expend a spell slot as long as you cast it as a ritual, although the investiture use does use a spell slot to allow another character to cast a spell, although the ritual itself doesn't use up a slot. At least that is how it worked in the UA.

gyor

Legend
Yes. They could have expanded the Sacred Rites downtime activity, for instance. Not all magical effects need to be via spells. Unfortunately, in this case I've got the weight of tradition going against me, since ceremony dates back to 1e or thereabouts.

I actually like that idea.

gyor

Legend
I'm surprised the Mighty Fortress, Druid Grove, and Temple of the Gods doesn't interest more people honestly, those seem like fun spells.

If they are all of the same level as Mighty Fortress, I think that if used in a ninth level spell slot they might get more powerful, just a guess.

PS I wish he'd talked more about Illusionary Dragon, sounds cool.

gyor

Legend
I looked up the spell card pic that showed a bit on Mighty Fortress, it only takes a minute to cast, duration is instant, Verbal & Material components, but not somatic.

It costs a diamond that costs 500gp to cast, and it creates a fortress of up to 120 feet, from up to a mile away. I couldn't tell anymore then that, other cards in the pic blocked the rest.

I suspect Temple of the Gods and Druid Grove are similar, but with their own unique twists.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads