• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide to Everything: Spells

pukunui

Legend
The Ceremony spell has the ritual tag so yes you can cast it without expending a spell slot to cast it. Even Investiture doesn't expend a spell slot as long as you cast it as a ritual, although the investiture use does use a spell slot to allow another character to cast a spell, although the ritual itself doesn't use up a slot. At least that is how it worked in the UA.
I missed that! That makes me dislike this spell even more.

pukunui

Legend
Does 5e even have non-spell rituals that players can use?
Perhaps not on the player side of things. The Sacred Rites downtime activity is probably the closest thing in the core rules, but there are some in the various adventures - like the Dance of the Seven Winds in Tomb of Annihilation.

When I was watching this video last night, and Crawford said, “I could talk about these new spells all day!”, I simply nodded and thought, “Please do.”

Some of the new options sound a little boring but useful gap-filling - “How do Druids create their groves”, sort of thing. But I am really happy that they are gap filling – the threads about Sorcerers and Gishes really show that the current spell range ust doesn’t quite meet everyone’s needs, even if that sometimes just consists of opening Elemental spells to other classes.

Li Shenron

Legend
The process of a Beast Master rangers takes in order to bind with a new beast companion seems like a ritual. It's even a week long.

...wasn't it just 8 hours? Or do you mean the UA version?

The Ceremony spell has the ritual tag so yes you can cast it without expending a spell slot to cast it. Even Investiture doesn't expend a spell slot as long as you cast it as a ritual, although the investiture use does use a spell slot to allow another character to cast a spell, although the ritual itself doesn't use up a slot. At least that is how it worked in the UA.

I just posted in the other thread that it seems to me that the Investiture option is gone from the Ceremony spell.

Li Shenron

Legend
I hope they haven't gone overboard with new cleric & druid spells... they already have quite a lot of them, and they would get immediate access to all the new ones.

gyor

Legend
I hope they haven't gone overboard with new cleric & druid spells... they already have quite a lot of them, and they would get immediate access to all the new ones.

I disagree 100%.

I do think they will both likely have access to over 12 new spells each.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads