• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Xanathar's: Ranger - Gloom Stalker

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'm OK with the name. Shadow (the Shadow!!!???) is way overused. I wonder how many people will level dip for the ability to nullify darkvision? Probably not many since it looks like it's a 3 level requirement (level 3 subclass feature I'm guessing)

Horwath

Legend
Does the darkvision invisibility works always or just when you are hiding/stealth Action? Like wood elves and their improved hiding?

Also Gloom stalker is ok name, but I would like it better as Night stalker.

"I'm not locked in with the mosters, they are locked with me!"

"Fear of the dark? I am the darkness!"

"The bogeyman checks under the bed for Gloom stalker"

As an aside, the way Jeremy talks about this ranger, and the way the mechanics work for rangers in generally, still makes me think that the class is best suited for solo play, not team-based play. Does anyone else get that feeling?

(I know that the ranger has some team-oriented abilities, but the bulk of the class and its flavor scream "I work alone.")
You basically described most scout classes in game. That's kind of their thing - using stealth to traverse ahead of the louder party members, set up ambush tactics, etc. They're designed for moving separate from the group, because that's kind of their thing.

That said, I once was in a game with everyone being stealthy, and we rocked the ambush scene like a boss. Lore bard, assassin rogue, shadow monk, and some kind of warlock, I forget what kind. But most of our encounters were handled with very little in the way of direct fights. It was pretty cool.

gyor

Legend
Does the darkvision invisibility works always or just when you are hiding/stealth Action? Like wood elves and their improved hiding?

Also Gloom stalker is ok name, but I would like it better as Night stalker.

"I'm not locked in with the mosters, they are locked with me!"

"Fear of the dark? I am the darkness!"

"The bogeyman checks under the bed for Gloom stalker"

Might be legal issues with Night stalker.

cooperjer

Explorer
I have a player concerned with the invisibility in darkness when perceived by those that would see with darkvision. There was some confusion regarding ranged attacks not revealing the gloom stalkers position, but I clarified that the position is revealed, but the gloom stalker is still unseen. The next point the player suggests is that this level three feature is effectively greater invisibility when the gloom stalker is in the dark. The player felt this reduces the capability of casters.

It will be interesting to see how the gloom stalker plays in dungeons.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads