• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Xanathar's: Ranger - Gloom Stalker

Horwath

Legend
I have a player concerned with the invisibility in darkness when perceived by those that would see with darkvision. There was some confusion regarding ranged attacks not revealing the gloom stalkers position, but I clarified that the position is revealed, but the gloom stalker is still unseen. The next point the player suggests is that this level three feature is effectively greater invisibility when the gloom stalker is in the dark. The player felt this reduces the capability of casters.

It will be interesting to see how the gloom stalker plays in dungeons.

Well, the wording is invisible. with no text when or if that invisibility breaks.

But underground most tunnels do not have a straight line of 60ft. So umbral sight can be countered with 1CP(a damn torch) or a cantrip(light). Because even dim light from it will reveal the ranger.

Bullseye lanter has bright light 60ft and dim light for 120ft. Unless you are ambushed by drow ranger(heh) with 150ft darkvision you are ok. But if you are in Underdark and ambushed by a drow ranger you are frakked whatever ranger he is :p

I think that the Gloom Stalker’s invisibility is the sort of thing that will depend a lot on your DM. If the DM loves the idea, then your campaign will feature teams of Duergar and Orcs trying to sneak around in the dark, prime pickings for the Stalker; but if (s)he doesn’t fancy it, then everyone will carry a torch, and it won’t matter. It’s a super cool ability though, so if I get a player using it, I’ll try to be the former.

nswanson27

First Post
I have a player concerned with the invisibility in darkness when perceived by those that would see with darkvision. There was some confusion regarding ranged attacks not revealing the gloom stalkers position, but I clarified that the position is revealed, but the gloom stalker is still unseen. The next point the player suggests is that this level three feature is effectively greater invisibility when the gloom stalker is in the dark. The player felt this reduces the capability of casters.

It will be interesting to see how the gloom stalker plays in dungeons.

As a player, I would be fine with either way (or maybe a perception check to hear location in the midst of battle battle noise, shot distance and and acuteness of hearing taken into consideration). But I would expect that the same ruling goes towards things with greater invisibility, as there is no rationale that I can see from the rules to distinguish invisibility (the spell) and invisibility (can't see them). Otherwise, I would feel like the DM is playing favorites.
I wouldn't say this reduces that capability of casters at all. Darkness is situational (and a light cantrip from an enemy can solve this), and casting it on others is huge.

Last edited:

cooperjer

Explorer
@ nswanson27 and [MENTION=6801299]Horwath[/MENTION], you both mention the use of the light cantrip or a torch. While these both seem like logical solutions for a PC party to use, I don't feel they are logical solutions for NPCs to use. In most cases, NPCs are accustomed to the dark, usually through dark vision. My experience is limited to Thunderspire Labyrinth and Princes of the Apocalypse stories though. There are creatures such as the koa-toa and some elementals with tremor sense or giant snakes with blind sense that are not concerned with this ranger feature.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
@ nswanson27 and [MENTION=6801299]Horwath[/MENTION], you both mention the use of the light cantrip or a torch. While these both seem like logical solutions for a PC party to use, I don't feel they are logical solutions for NPCs to use. In most cases, NPCs are accustomed to the dark, usually through dark vision. My experience is limited to Thunderspire Labyrinth and Princes of the Apocalypse stories though. There are creatures such as the koa-toa and some elementals with tremor sense or giant snakes with blind sense that are not concerned with this ranger feature.

The way darkvision works, I think most creatures would want lights set up in any area where they are concerned about intruders. Their darkvision just...isn't that good. It only extends 60 feet, so an intruder is within 6 seconds of reaching you by the time you can see them. And if they are sneaking around, then the darkvision will be at disadvantage (-5 to passive perception) to detect them. It just doesn't make sense for NPCs to be living in the dark all the time anymore. They're going to want lights.

Sacrosanct

Legend
The way darkvision works, I think most creatures would want lights set up in any area where they are concerned about intruders. Their darkvision just...isn't that good. It only extends 60 feet, so an intruder is within 6 seconds of reaching you by the time you can see them. And if they are sneaking around, then the darkvision will be at disadvantage (-5 to passive perception) to detect them. It just doesn't make sense for NPCs to be living in the dark all the time anymore. They're going to want lights.

Even in the old days, it seems like people assumed infravision was pretty much night vision when it wasn't. If there was no heat difference, everything looks the same. I think if you actually understand how infravision (and now darkvision) work, it makes zero sense for a humanoid to not have lights in an underground or otherwise darkened area. Seeing details in your living area is pretty important.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Even in the old days, it seems like people assumed infravision was pretty much night vision when it wasn't. If there was no heat difference, everything looks the same. I think if you actually understand how infravision (and now darkvision) work, it makes zero sense for a humanoid to not have lights in an underground or otherwise darkened area. Seeing details in your living area is pretty important.

Isn't that why just about every Underdark race had ultravision, too?

Horwath

Legend

I dont think they are accustomed to the pitch dark. Yes, they can fight in the dark but they have disadvantage to perception and I would say any work that relies on sight.

Even if you can see some distance in the dark, you would like to be in a lit area most of the time.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Isn't that why just about every Underdark race had ultravision, too?

Nope. In fact, even under the Drow's description in the Fiend Folio, they don't have it. They only have longer 120' infravision. And other monsters like Dark Creepers don't have anything special called out either. And that doesn't even factor the more common dungeon delving creatures: kobolds, goblins, etc.

Basically, with how infravision worked, it made no sense for humanoids who dwelt underground to not have some sort of light source unless specifically called out (like the aforementioned dark creeper, even if they did not have ultravision). Infravision: good to detect intruders, awful for day to day living.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads