D&D 5E Xanathar's "War Magic" too strong for multiclassing?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Or we can take this back and forth to 10-20 more posts. I'm willing to bet my stubbornness prevails over yours and you will be the one walking away. Can I disparage you with insults For offering to do so as you are me now?

If you feel like I am insulting you, I am sorry. That's not my intent. I keep asking you what it is you are objecting to. If you think I am mischaracterizing yours or someone else's position, then explain what your position is or what you think that other person's position is, rather than just making a blanket "strawman" accusation without further comment.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
It's like two people sitting in front their computer ignoring the people around them because someone is wrong on the internet.

The signature of champions.

clearstream

(He, Him)
The War Magic subclass offers 2 features.

1. Arcane Deflection: Requires a Reaction:
If hit by an attack you gain +2 AC against that attack.
If you fail a saving throw you gain a +4 bonus to that saving throw.
After using this feature you can't cast spells except for cantrips until the end of your next turn.

2. Tactical Wit:
+int bonus to initiative.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I can think of a whole slew of classes I'd consider taking a 2 level dip into wizard for the spells and these features. Even with just a 13 int.

Am I wrong about this level 2 dip being to strong? Thoughts opinions?
For me "too strong" has two fundamental tests

1) Does it overshadow other options (narrows viable strategies, prevents others shining)?
2) Does it warp the narrative (DM has to change too much in the game world in response to it)?

Overshadowing?
So far as Wizard dips go, I guess this is competing most closely with Bladesinger and Diviner. For low-encounter-count per day campaigns, my background position is that straight levels in Wizard is likely stronger than dipping.

As a dip War Magic has the advantage over Bladesinger of being broader. It's not restricted to elves, and it doesn't call out so loudly for maxed Intelligence. For me, dipping Bladesinger is going to be typically a mistake because the sub-class is set up to max Intelligence... and that is going to be wasted on almost all other sub-classes except, as I pointed out a while back, Arcane Trickster.

War Magic and Diviner don't for me compete along the same dimension. The dip I really like for Diviner (and have played to high level) is Diviner / Lore Bard. The goal of that MC is power over the narrative, not out-and-out excellence in combat. I think Portent is probably stronger than Arcane Deflection in terms of player leverage over the game world, but like I said they don't really compete.

As others have pointed out, I believe the Intelligence requirement keeps War Caster reasonably in its place compared with MCs overall. There are other options - Rogue 2 for Expertise and Cunning Action - that feel as good.

Warping the Narrative?
At first glance, for me War Caster is not too strong because it isn't overshadowing other dips including other Wizard dips. A War Caster might shine, but doesn't to me seem to stop anyone else shining. I also doubt a War Caster is warping the narrative as hard as other options like Sharpshooter, Shield Master, Battlemaster Menacing attack, etc, etc. It's a reasonably straight-forward, primarily defensive ability that is giving fairly proportionate bonuses (I get +2 AC, but I could have cast Shield, etc). As a DM, I think I'm not changing anything to deal with a 2-level War Caster dip. Does that chime true for you?

Bottom line then, if it isn't sticking its head above the parapet in terms of overshadowing or warping the narrative, I rate it not too strong.

Remove ads