• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Xanathar's "War Magic" too strong for multiclassing?

hejtmane

Explorer
If you go into a game knowing the game will only have 3 encounters per LR, shouldn't you be playing a caster anyway? That's like optimization 101. :) I know one of my current DMs rarely does more than 3 encounters a day, which is why I play a gish with smite options.

Paladin 2 and Cleric 1 would probably be the others. Sorcerer 1 and 3 are also solid.

If War Wizard simply adds another option to the already strong list of dip candidates, what exactly is the problem?

I still think Portent is the best two level dip in the game for wizard class

Lets look at the war wizard the +2 ac is less than using your reaction for Shield spell so it is great when you run out of spell slots or if you want to save the slots for absorb elements either way you are using your reaction. I say the biggest benefit is the saving throw but still uses your reaction.

I say the optimization is better for some Fighter example Battle Master/War Wiz so they get the best of both worlds instead of going EK

5ekyu

Hero
My view points are...

I would go back to wiz3/bar-3 with whatever levels you want. That earns end level spell options for rituals etc. Those spells open a lot of doors for the barbarian overall.

Second in the various rage times vs encounter times a key element is not so much how many encounters but how many encounters you need rage in, right. Even at 6-8 the majority of those 6-8 will be light encounters you don't need to rage. My bet is many games if not most game max out at three deadly or fewer (not arbitrary but similar total do to the 6-8) so yeah 3 vs 4 may play a role sometimes but not always.

Not sure it OP but it does seem to me that its intended drawback of limited casting is a highly variable limitation that will affect many direct builds a significant bit and many others not at all.

But that may be the point. This college may be meant for mostly a good brute with dash of mage approach and levels 4 the 20 are more completionist.

Sent from my VS995 using EN World mobile app

mellored

Legend
There's already an at-will +AC reaction available to anyone. It's called defensive dualist.

Nobody takes it.

Though I'm tempted to go hexblade 1/paladin 6/war wizard 2 with a focus on Cha, and just to be immune to magic.

mellored

Legend
1. The campaigns I've been playing in recently usually have 1-2 combats per day. Maybe 3 tops. 4 or more is exceptionally rare. If you have different experiences there then that is fine. I'm sure we all do.
Pretty much any class is better then continuing to go barbarian if you only rage twice per day.
(Also, that limit's you to 2 false life, THP dont' stack, but other spells are good).

For instance, paladin 2. Great weapon fighting, Smites (they arn't spells), and 10 HP from lay on hands (and only -2 less from the d10 hit die).

I guess the Hp thing depends right?
Life cleric 1/druid 1 and use goodberry? = 120 HP.
And 13 wis is better than 13 Int.

cooperjer

Explorer
As the DM I remind my players what time of day it is. In some cases they setup camp at noon and spend the rest of the day on watch with two ritual castings of tiny hut. If I feel like motivating them, I have no problem with having monsters wonder in to spice things up a bit. The net result is 4 or more encounters per day. If they hide in their hut, then the monsters plan to ambush once they exit the hut and start the day.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
...or is it?

Not standard according to rules perhaps.....but normal as in play habits?

Hmmmmmm.

Pretty sure the 30 second adventuring day with zero short rests is not normal. I mean the playtest including polling on encounters per day. Nothing ever indicated a single combat per day was the norm.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Pretty sure the 30 second adventuring day with zero short rests is not normal. I mean the playtest including polling on encounters per day. Nothing ever indicated a single combat per day was the norm.

Maybe stop arguing against a straw man?

Herosmith14

First Post
Yeah, this is kinda why I was a little annoyed that Warcaster wound up in XGtE, instead of Theurg or something else. It's a recolor Lore Wizard, granted a lot less broken, but still really powerful.

Just to be clear I'm still pretty nobody when it comes to making Subclasses, but my understanding of the system for Wizard entrances is b. Prof or cheaper spells and a thematic ability. Deflection is pretty obviously the theme, but Int initiative seems a bit powerful for filling the other slot. Personally I would have gone armor proficiency, cause you would expect to see them on front lines, but I'm not a dev, so.

I would just like to say I only have access to XGtE via DDB sharing, and have not thoroughly read Earcaster, so I may bot be the finest judge for that.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Remove ads