D&D 5E Xanathar's "War Magic" too strong for multiclassing?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The War Magic subclass offers 2 features.

1. Arcane Deflection: Requires a Reaction:
If hit by an attack you gain +2 AC against that attack.
If you fail a saving throw you gain a +4 bonus to that saving throw.
After using this feature you can't cast spells except for cantrips until the end of your next turn.

2. Tactical Wit:
+int bonus to initiative.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I can think of a whole slew of classes I'd consider taking a 2 level dip into wizard for the spells and these features. Even with just a 13 int.

Am I wrong about this level 2 dip being to strong? Thoughts opinions?

EvanNave55

Explorer
What just came to mind for me is an eldritch blast specialized Warlock so even though you can't cast normal spells, you'd be casting a cantrip instead anyways, so the restriction doesn't really matter much.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EN World mobile app

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
What just came to mind for me is an eldritch blast specialized Warlock so even though you can't cast normal spells, you'd be casting a cantrip instead anyways, so the restriction doesn't really matter much.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EN World mobile app

That's one of the better uses I agree. I can also see it being great for a paladin or barbarian as long as you can get the stats to work okay. Barbarians are in dire need of save bonuses IMO. This small dip would fix their saves for most of their career IMO. Paladins would save against almost everything with that their charisma save aura. That's kind of scary IMO.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
If someone's willing to take 13 Int (the least synergistic stat) and a two-level dip to take a purely defensive reaction ability, more power to them, I say.

jgsugden

Legend
You're using your reaction. That is a cost. Fighter types want those reactions for more attacks. Spellcasters want to counterspell. There is a real cost there.

Also, you're dipping into *the* Int class. There are few PCs out there that are not wizards that have a point buy or default array PC with a 13 Int. It may work for an Eldritch Knight, an Arcane Trickster or something along those lines, but it will be felt more heavily by other classes.

I have no problem with it. It is also only for that attack/save and is not an automatic make. Certainly valuable, but not insane.

Snof

First Post
Can you give a level 10 build where going 2 levels of wizard (war magic) for this is worth it?

From what I see it is strong, but not out of touch with other multiclass dips.

jgsugden

Legend
To be fair, you get a lot more. Ritual casting, a spellbook of 6 first level spells, 3 or 4 spells per LR, etc... However - I have not played a PC in 5E yet that I would have wanted to dip into this honeyjar.

I think the biggest dipper will be the mystic (when it is finally official). I could see the "concentrate on this discipline" effects starting before using arcane deflection, and then making a melee attack. Plus the precognitive discipline gives you advantage on initiative so there should be no issue in using that and tactical wit at the same time.....

Dausuul

Legend
Can you give a level 10 build where going 2 levels of wizard (war magic) for this is worth it?

From what I see it is strong, but not out of touch with other multiclass dips.
Agreed. The most likely place I can think of would be if you're an eldritch knight, and you want to boost your spellcasting with a dip into wizard. In that case, you're insane to pick anything but War Wizard for your arcane tradition.

However, it's still not clear that this is more powerful than going straight fighter. Multiclassing in 5E is very costly and you need a lot of synergy to justify it.

I can see a dip into Warcaster more for RP purposes that explicit character build synergy reasons. The mysterious fighter who had once been a mighty wizard reduced by epic curse in a long-ago war. The rogue who was once the apprentice of a powerful mage but robbed him of a legendary artifact only to have it taken by a legendary creature. Etc.

The innate powers for defense and rapid reaction in battle belie a more powerful soul than you would suspect otherwise, but not at overkill levels.

Remove ads