XGtE: are any of those flavor magic items any good?

5ekyu

Hero
Uhhh

Hmm

Talking doll is a gold mine

The horn of quiet signals great

The hats etc that serve as focus and cantrip dialer

Planty of good but some stinkers.

Henry

Autoexreginated
The Hat of wizardry I consider to be pretty good - the ability to pull out ANY cantrip once per day in a pinch is pretty good. I know there’s a failure chance, but if you are a wizard, chances are your Arcana check is pretty good anyway.

Worrgrendel

Explorer
Few of them require attunement, but the ones that do are actually fairly useful at lower levels.

I throw a lot of 'minor' magic items into games that are non-combat items. They're the things that a noble would commission to make their lives easier - a pair of shells that can cast message once per day, a rod that vibrates on command, a lens that can count similar objects that the user is viewing, a ring that cleans the wearer as prestidigitation, etc... We use technology a lot - nobles that have access to wizards would likely seek to obtain similar benefits.

And what, pray tell, would you be using a rod that vibrates on command for? <wink>

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Perfume of Bewitching and Moonblade are the ones that se common use imc.

Did you mean Moon-Touched Sword?

Either way I have found Moon-Touched Shortswords to be the go-to option for starting magical equipment in higher-magic games, or a reward in their own right for lower-magic games. As a magical weapon that nearly everyone can use, they are seldom scoffed at due to their ability to bypass non-magical weapon resistance, and the ability to shed light is always welcome among the races that don't have darkvision. It makes sense that such a thing would be desired and ordered en-mass, even if mass-production doesn't exist yet. (Plus you can totally crib the Riflemans Creed from Full Metal Jacket and give it more depth due to the various flourishes that smiths and artificers would put on the blades they produce)

I've also found use for the Ersatz Eye, though that's mostly because I'm doing a pirate-themed game.

Beyond others mentioned in this thread so far, the Boots of False Tracks could find some good use for sneaky types who want to throw pursuers off or frame someone else, and what low-level bard wouldn't want an Instrument of Illusions?

Nod_Hero

Explorer
I'm a big fan of Staff of Adornment.
Put a lamp or a torch on the end, now you've got a free hand again because your light source is on the tip of your staff!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases