D&D 5E XGtE Brag/Beat/Variance

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I realize a lot of threads have been made already but they haven't been satisfactory to me so I'm making one to hopefully get some new opinions of things that stand out to me in the book and maybe some that I've missed.

Brag:

Toll the Dead: Fantastic, well balanced cantrip that fills a hole. Chill Touch was never satisfying to me for the necrotic damage cantrip.

Shadow Blade: Fun sustained melee attack fits well into 2nd level. I can't think of anything in that range that fills that niche.

Thunder Step: Nice midway between Misty Step and Dimension Door with its own unique use.

Ancestral Guardian/Zealot/Arcane Archer/Shadow Magic: These subclasses fill holes nicely in these classes.

Monster Slayer/College of Swords: I like the realization of these concepts better than what is in the PHB.

Summon Demons: In a game with summons it's important to have them.

Beat:

Hexblade Patron: This is grossly overpowered and overshadows every other patron. The only part that is specific to weapons is the Cha to hit/dmg. It is both poorly designed and poorly balanced.

Gloom Stalker/Circle of the Shepherd/Oath of Redemption: The abilities don't capture the theme.

Catnap: Creates a weird dynamic in the party of short rest vs long rest classes. I would rather keep the feel of short rests than have replenishing of those abilities based on other abilities like Catnap.

Variance:

All the reprints

Glamour/Samurai/Inquisitive: These are superfluous. They're just variants on subclasses we already have.

Healing Spirit: Easily solved by having it trigger at the start of a creature's turn. Should have been caught in editing though.

Most spells: While I need some more time to sit with them, they aren't standing out to me. Might be due to the large number of reprints.

Infernal Calling spell details: Fantastic and creative middle finger to the satanic panic of the 80s.

Remove ads