D&D General XP Awards for -- what????

When do you award XP?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Seriously, have you read games like Dungeon World? Some vague admonishments and very nebulous "you're supposed to have fun" and "face deadly perils", sure its SOMETHING, but compare that with the statements of goal and principles, agenda, etc. in Dungeon World, and how it ties DIRECTLY in an obvious fashion directly onto the process of play. Heck, every time DW tells the GM or players something about the process of play it reiterates and points out the concrete mapping between that and goals and agenda, etc. There's really no comparison. 5e (and apparently its successors/follow ons) are EXTREMELY vague and really do not spell out what actually makes the game work. Its not enough to tell the players their goal is to 'create an exciting story', the game needs to provide a map which shows you how what you do at the table DOES THAT. This is what D&D has (4e aside) been missing for 40 years!
I'm familiar with Dungeon World and was a playtester for that game. What some other game says about this matter has no bearing on my point that D&D 5e does in fact tell the players what they need to do - use the power of make-believe and be a bold adventurer confronting deadly perils in worlds of swords of sorcery in a way that is fun for everyone and helps contribute to an exciting, memorable story.

I just don't prefer to sit in judgment of someone else's roleplay. Everyone does their thing a bit differently in my experience and my standard is not necessarily universal, so I trust the players to step up most of the time with the odd cheese now and again. So far so good.
I agree that players really should be entirely capable of figuring out their RP. In our BitD game what we do is basically each player writes up a description of their XP gains in the discord after the session (its pretty much one score per session). We can all see what the other people are thinking in terms of what they believe their character's goals are, how they arrived at RP decisions, and such. Its not a lot of detail, but I know what Skewth's player thinks constitutes attempting to achieve one of his goals, for example. I guess if a player were being very cheesy, they'd stand out here. Honestly, I don't think that happens much except in fairly casual RPG play, in which case maybe its not so bad!

No. In AD&D, XP are earned for gold taken out of the dungeon. OD&D words it as "treasure obtained", and B/X as "treasure recovered". I don't have Holmes Basic and so can't check it.

Spending the gold is not part of the advancement mechanic.
Except, by RAW it is, because you have to pay to be trained up in levels, which costs IIRC 1500gp/level * the level being gained (and then times the infamous 'RP factor').

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Except, by RAW it is, because you have to pay to be trained up in levels, which costs IIRC 1500gp/level * the level being gained (and then times the infamous 'RP factor').
I think you two are talking past each other a little. Spending gold on training is definitely part of the overall advancement mechanic in the RAW, but I suspect, from his comment, pemerton may be thinking more along the lines of gold not needing to be spent to gain the XPs.

And you're close on the formula. It's 1500 x current level x RP factor. Current level enables the PC to start paying at 1500 gp/week for level 2 rather than jumping right to 3000 gp/week on the first go.

I think you two are talking past each other a little. Spending gold on training is definitely part of the overall advancement mechanic in the RAW, but I suspect, from his comment, pemerton may be thinking more along the lines of gold not needing to be spent to gain the XPs.

And you're close on the formula. It's 1500 x current level x RP factor. Current level enables the PC to start paying at 1500 gp/week for level 2 rather than jumping right to 3000 gp/week on the first go.
I mean, its splitting hairs really. You have to expend the GP to do the training that actually gets you the next level, without that the XP is just a meaningless number on your sheet (by RAW). In effect you 'buy your XP' (roughly, the costs don't exactly track, as there are some mid-levels where the costs are significantly less than the XPs you need, which pretty closely track actual GP recovered since about 95% of XP comes from GP normally).

So, yeah, its not an exact statement, but its not too far off. As for 'current level' this is true, though really it all depends on that crucial GM rating factor, lol! Remember to retain all decimals as each 0.145 factor represents another day of training required! ROFLMAO! Did Gary honestly think people would EVER stand for that?

I'm familiar with Dungeon World and was a playtester for that game. What some other game says about this matter has no bearing on my point that D&D 5e does in fact tell the players what they need to do - use the power of make-believe and be a bold adventurer confronting deadly perils in worlds of swords of sorcery in a way that is fun for everyone and helps contribute to an exciting, memorable story.
I'm not saying there is anything WRONG with what 5e is saying there, just that it is dropping the ball when it doesn't go the next step and PRODUCE that inherently through the process of play. This is why I brought up DW, because you literally cannot play it, in any meaningful sense, without the game producing the type of actions and outcomes which are its focus. 5e is a total crapshoot by comparison.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I'm not saying there is anything WRONG with what 5e is saying there, just that it is dropping the ball when it doesn't go the next step and PRODUCE that inherently through the process of play. This is why I brought up DW, because you literally cannot play it, in any meaningful sense, without the game producing the type of actions and outcomes which are its focus. 5e is a total crapshoot by comparison.
You must have never seen D&D players play Dungeon World. The game breaks under that scenario in my experience.

I think D&D 5e tries to be a lot of different things to appeal to a wide variety of people. Niche games like Dungeon World just don't appeal to everyone.

You must have never seen D&D players play Dungeon World. The game breaks under that scenario in my experience.

I think D&D 5e tries to be a lot of different things to appeal to a wide variety of people. Niche games like Dungeon World just don't appeal to everyone.
Well, the main people I've played DW with are people who still mostly play 3.5, some 5e, and obviously some Dungeon World (maybe some of them play other stuff too, but I'm pretty sure they're all like 95% D&D). Sure, DW requires a bit of a shift in mind set at times, and classic D&D players (especially of the 2e/3.x/5e ilk) often have to unlearn their assumptions that the rules actually describe how the game world works, or other similar misunderstandings. Still, the game is VERY robust, when I GMed it I just stuck hard to the agenda and techniques and the players didn't really have much choice, they kinda had to play DW as DW. I mean, if a player tried to tell me what move her character was making, I just said something like "tell me what that looks like" for example. Pretty soon you will find that, following the prescribed techniques, the game naturally takes on the proper character and structure. Obviously I can't speak to everyone else's experience, I'm sure there are players who are just not going to be able to make it work for them.

But my point is, I have actually never seen DW played by anyone who was NOT primarily a D&D player, and it works fine IME. Now, there are known GMs on these boards who APPEAR from what they say not be able to run DW in a way that many DW proponents feel is the intended manner, and seem to run it more like a D&D game. That would be a harder thing to fix, but its pretty clear they're not paying attention to what the game says to do, procedurally, or their understanding of those procedures is so different from the game designer's that they just cannot bridge the gap. Again though, my sister runs 99.9% 3.5e D&D and she's perfectly capable of running a pretty passable DW game!

pemerton

Legend
I mean, its splitting hairs really. You have to expend the GP to do the training that actually gets you the next level, without that the XP is just a meaningless number on your sheet (by RAW). In effect you 'buy your XP' (roughly, the costs don't exactly track, as there are some mid-levels where the costs are significantly less than the XPs you need, which pretty closely track actual GP recovered since about 95% of XP comes from GP normally).

So, yeah, its not an exact statement, but its not too far off. As for 'current level' this is true, though really it all depends on that crucial GM rating factor, lol! Remember to retain all decimals as each 0.145 factor represents another day of training required! ROFLMAO! Did Gary honestly think people would EVER stand for that?
I think the answer to you last question is no. I can't imagine it was ever widely implemented as written.

As came up on another thread (or earlier in this one?), I think the idea of an XP adjustment for conforming to character class function - which is what the PHB intimates - actually makes more sense, though whether 4 scales are needed is up for grab! You could do it in three steps: didn't conform to alignment or character class function = 2, did one or the other = 1, did both = 0. This could even be done Burning Wheel or Torchbearer style: Did you take an action that significantly violated your alignment? Gain one point. Did you engage in actions during play that significantly departed from class function? Gain one point. Each point is (say) a 15% penalty to earned experience for that session/adventure.

Horwath

Legend
XP is used just for encounter budget, and that is also working "great" in 5E.

Milestone is way better and there is no explanation why one player got more "roleplay" XP over another.
Those debates are tiresome and calculating XP just takes time that can be used for working on campaign.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases