XP Debt for XP costs

Mark1733

Explorer
If I choose to use the rules around XP cost for spells and such, would an XP debt rule work? This is how many video games work...if you lose XP, you don't lose level, you instead go into debt which needs to be repaid with new XP in parallel at some simple rate like 50% of all new XP. So, if I want to cast that spell that requires some XP, I just go into XP debt. It slows my advancement, but I am not stifled if I hit my last level's limit. For example, if I reach my 5th level exactly and want to now get Craft Wand...I actually have to wait for more XP to actually use it. With the XP debt method, I would be able to craft my wand right then and there and stay at 5th level, but I would have to build my XP back in order to advance to 6th level--if I spend all my time creating stuff, I can do that, but my party members will not see me and I will not advance. I think there is fair trade there. At the end of the day, is there a difference? Is it too complex? In my last posting about advancing levels when it "feels right," a few of you metioned nixing the XP costs, in lieu of other rules--epic components, etc.

Last edited:

Remove ads