• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

XP or EP?

XP or EP?

• XP

Votes: 250 98.0%
  • EP

Votes: 5 2.0%

Wombat

First Post
werk said:
I've heard more and more people calling experience points E.P. Maybe I'm old, but it was always abbreviated X.P. before.

What do you say?

**shrug** Whichever. Hardly a major issue in our game.

the Jester

Legend
EPs are generally no longer minted, and they no longer have a 'fixed' value since the recalibration of the monetary system (and the reduction in size and weight of coins to 1/5 their previous .1 lb weight).

XPs, on the other hand, have changed value over the years too, but at least they're still in circulation.

Oddly, I have been known to say "eeps" but I always write it as XP. Basically at the end of the sessions it's easier to say "Eeps?" to the DM than to say "Ex-pees?" And I would never ask a full sentense such as "How may experience points did we earn this session?"

Agamon

Adventurer
jmucchiello said:
Oddly, I have been known to say "eeps" but I always write it as XP. Basically at the end of the sessions it's easier to say "Eeps?" to the DM than to say "Ex-pees?" And I would never ask a full sentense such as "How may experience points did we earn this session?"

See, as a DM, I would translate a player asking "Eeps?" as "Please beat me about the head and shoulders." :p

FolcoTook

First Post
Vorput said:
42-0... evidently those cowardly E.P.ers are in hiding...

We'll have to smoke em out... with torches, and +5 vorpal swords...

Vorp
Hey, how many XPs are these non-money-referring E.P. crazies worth, anyway? I'm thinking they can't be much more than a CR 1/2 encounter. :p

E.P.
It's all about the electrums, baby.

-FT

freebfrost

Explorer
Gilladian said:
I voted Eeps. We called them that back before 2nd edition. I'm not sure why, but it seems like a 1st edition thing to me. My husband agrees with me. Eeps all the way back. I remember having to force myself to learn XP and it still seems odd. As does Thaco, and other 2nd editionisms...
I've been playing since the blue boxed basic set, and it's always been XP. (Also, THACO was 1st edition...)

;)

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
We generally use XP.

Although I was in a group for quite a while (back in the late 80s/early 90s) that used "eeps" almost exclusively.

Not only that, but at the end of a gaming session the players would break out into a chorus of "Eeeeps! Eeeeeeeeeeps! Eeps! Eeps! Eeps! Eeeeeeps!" ad nauseum.

It was annoying/amusing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads