D&D 5E XP per Session !!???

Shiroiken

Legend
Playing and running 3-4 hour sessions, I've found it to be slower than suggested, which I approve of. Fortunately, it's easy to adjust the amount of XP by giving a modifier (from 1/4 to x3, for example) in order to fit the ratio you want. Of course, many DMs ignore XP altogether, which is not my cup of tea.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
The DMG recommendation sounds really fast to me too. After thinking about it about, though, while I wouldn't use this in previous editions, it may be alright with 5E. I liked slower progression in previous editions because once you hit a certain point, either the levels are sort of capped (1E) or the game turns into medieval superheroes (BECMI, 3E), neither of which is what I'm looking for in a D&D game. With 5E's bounded accuracy and the removal of some of the crazy high level stuff from previous editions (scry & fry looks like it would be much harder) I'd be willing to at least try the recommended advancement rate.

Coredump

Explorer
Think of 2 sessions.

I just level to 6th.... fun times and this week I get to play at 6th level.
Next week I end the session at 7th level.

I didn't even get a chance to get used to being 6th level. I would think it should be more like 4-8 sessions. That gives you a chance to get used to the new level, play with it a bit, and get the *anticipation* of the next level. If you are getting that *ding* every couple of weeks... the levels are no longer special....they are just routine.

And I don't get the 'boring' concern. If the excitement in the campaign comes from the leveling up, there is a real problem with the campaign

GlobeOfDankness

Banned
Banned
after a fight, add the XPs of all the monsters in the encounter, consult the DMG tables for the encounter building tables, then calculate your final total using the multiplier for multiple enemies. divide the result between the PCs that finished the fight. dead people get no points.

to make people level faster in my game, i let them divide the XP by the number of players -1. i realized people liked getting an extra share when someone was missing or dead so i just made it the default rule.

Kikuras

First Post
after a fight, add the XPs of all the monsters in the encounter, consult the DMG tables for the encounter building tables, then calculate your final total using the multiplier for multiple enemies. divide the result between the PCs that finished the fight. dead people get no points.

to make people level faster in my game, i let them divide the XP by the number of players -1. i realized people liked getting an extra share when someone was missing or dead so i just made it the default rule.

Bonus XP for killing off party members!! "Dude, I'm really sorry you were hit by my scorching ray. And to think we almost won the battle without losing anyone."

Grainger

Explorer
wow, thats much faster than I would want it to advance.

I'm inclined to agree, but it is a matter of taste. If you played bi-weekly, you'd reach level 20 in 2.5 years (one level every 6 weeks), at the slowest end of that spectrum (levelling every 3 sessions). That's far too fast for me (level 20 is meant to be pretty much Legendary Hero status), but it depends how common those levels are in your game-world, and which levels you want to play at.

There are two ways to look at level advancement - firstly, there's the gameplay consideration. How much momentum you want to have in your campaign (does everyone want to level up regularly? what happens when they reach level 20 and can't level any more?).

Secondly, there's the campaign design consideration. I reason that if you can level up every 2-3 sessions, then it's pretty fast in game time to get to level 20, for NPCs as well as PCs. Of course, many will die along the way, but in a world with many adventurers, this means you'd tend to have many high-level NPCs in such a game-world. Otherwise, it might seem odd when the players get to the higher levels and suddenly all these hitherto-unknown super-powerful NPCs come out of the woodwork (and why weren't they making their influence felt before?).

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Picking at my math? Okay, your post doesn't make sense because it includes:

0 divided by 0 = 0

And well, that's just undefined. B-)

If you have all roleplayers (versus the implied power-gamers) then yeah, you might want to throw them a bone here or there.

Remove ads