D&D 5E Yawning portal in the Forgotten Realms-Advice

Revan79

First Post
I am going to be running the adventures in the Yawning Portal as a campaign and I'm trying to link all the adventures together somehow but i'm struggling.

If anyone has done or is doing the same as me I would greatly appreciate any help and advice they can offer.

My party is made up of young adventurers who want to be famous and when the news breaks that the Yawning Portal is once again under the ownership of the famed adventurer Durnan it sparks them into action. (adventure begins).

I guess the easiest way would be to have 7 connected items be at the end of each dungeon. Maybe the pieces of the Rod of Seven Parts. Or the Dragon Balls!

Or maybe each of the bosses at the end of a dungeon is identified by one of the seven sins?

manduck

Explorer
It may help if you come up with a campaign theme first and not worry about linking the dungeons in Yawning Portal first. If you have a big goal for a campaign, you can give each dungeon it's own unique purpose. For example, say a cult wants to bring back an ancient evil. One dungeon could have a clue about the cult and the ancient evil, like an old tomb or something. One could contain a powerful magic item the group needs to use against the cult. One could have something the cult needs and the PCs have to race against them through a dungeon to get it first. Each location could offer a piece of the overall mystery while having a unique goal to contribute. So I would say to think of something big you want the group to accomplish and then scatter the parts of that story throughout Yawning Portal. That way the group isn't constantly repeating what they are doing in every dungeon. It also gives them reason to explore all those scenarios as they want to uncover that mystery or stop that evil whatever.

Remove ads