• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(YBA) Some possible new powers and a new Path for YBA

Skarnkai

First Post
These came to me yesterday so I thought I would post them.. no experience values are given.. since I am not a good judge of balance, being out of the game for a while...

Iron Skin: Cost X exp.
Prerequisites: Toughness x2, Bodyguard (or Fists of Fury)
Effect: By mastering the body, you suffer less damage from enemy attacks, -1 hit from all foes to a minumum of 1.

Back to the Wall: Cost X exp.
Prerequisites: 2 Mastered Styles ot Locations
Effect: When at 1/4 Hits (round .5 or more up), this fighter strives harder dealing +1 hit on any successful attack

Twin Strike: Cost X exp.
Prerequisites: 3 Mastered Styles or Locations, Teamwork.
Effect: When multiple characters with Twin strike act in union to attack a single foe, each deals +1 hit if successful (only if more than one hits).

Defensive Harmony: Cost X exp.
Prerequisites: Teamwork, Bodyguard and 2 Mastered Styles or Locations.
Effect: One per fight per time purchased, A group of fighters with Defensive Harmony may fight defensively to receive -1 hit from all enemies. More than 1 combatant must be involved. May not be used with Twin Strike on the same round.

Bardic Path:
Battle Song: Cost X exp.
Prerequisites: Mastery of 1 Style.
Effect: May forsake his attack to give 2 allies +1 hit if their attacks are succesfull. He generates a defense move, and if hit this power fails. May be taken again to extend the effect to 2 more allies, to a maximum of 6.

Disonance: Cost X exp.
Prerequisites: Battle Song x2, Mastery of 2 Styles/Locations.
Effect: Once per Quest the fighter may generate an attack against all foes, on a success he deals 1 hit of damage. Weapons/Styles do not apply to this damage.

Countersong: Cost X exp.
Prerequisites: Battle Song x3, Disonance
Effect: Once per fight, the fighter can neutralize any one power (not styles or locations) making is unusable for the duration of the fight. Cannot be used if Chi Striked.

Song Battery: Cost X exp +1exp per Chord.
Prerequisites: Battle Song x2, Disonance
Effect: By the use of ancient arts you instill power into your voice or an instrument. This power can be used in multiple ways.
Shove (2 Chords): As the Pwer
Give Life (3 Chords per point healed): Similar to the holy warrior power except its effect must be spread among multiple people (generate defense move). No more than 1 Life can be gained in one round from this ability.
Disonance (4 or 6 Chords): Same as the power.
Countersong (6 or more Chords): Same as the power.
Instill Energy (5 Chords): Affects an ally, giving him a second move just as Fists of Fury does. May not be used in conjunction with fists of Fury.

Scavenger: Cost X exp.
Prerequisites: Dirty Trick or Sneaky Trick.
Effect: This fighter obtains the maximum value from the fallen, whether is be in hides, ivory or other unmentionables...
After a fight, if allowed to scavenge he gains 1 Yen per 4 CR of the encounter.

Epic Power:
Mimic: Cost X exp.
Prerequisites: Flexible Style, Teacher or Gang Leader
Effect: Once per fight, the fighter may use a move he saw in the previous rounds instead of his normal move. This move must be generated by a foe or an ally.

Thoughts everyone?

Phoenix8008

First Post
Interesting Skarnkai.

I definately like having more powers to choose from, but another path isn't my favorite idea. I think the Paths should be mere flavor that is created by the player to explain the game effects of the powers he or she chooses to acquire.

Like with Darkwolf's character Azure, she follows a sorceress path because that is what Darkwolf uses to explain the powers she has.

I love to see more powers to choose from and some of these look good.

Iron Skin is good. I like the possibility of something besides undead being able to get that effect. Maybe if Undead couldn't take this power, then it would balance out and not just keep them one ahead of the rest.

Alot of the team-up powers are okay and I'm sure some would use them.

Scavenger is cool, but we already have an issue with maybe too much money and items for characters to get and power themselves up with. It's a power I would definately want, but it could further unbalance the ratio of character vs. monster.

I think Mimic is my favorite power in this list. I like Flexible Style as a prerequisite, but I think that should be it. Adding Teacher or Gang Leader as prerequisites is a bit much I think. Getting Epic powers is hard enough as it is and the higher in level you get, the more difficult it is, so more prereq's add to the problem.

I encourage others to keep creating possible new powers as well. I'd like to make some myself, but it's not really my forte I'm afraid. Good job, Skarnkai. I'll be reading to see what other think as well.

Wicht

Hero
Nice work Skarnkai - some of those look very useable. I am too tired right now to give them a real going over but I will try to come back to them on Monday and fix some of them up officially. Like Phoenix I am leery of actual paths, aka classes but chains of power are fine.

This is a given but I think on the wording you should list (mostly for the bard path) that the bard has to go first before his allies to utilize the powers such as Battle Song and Instill Energy, this would make much more sense and make it easier to calculate. There is one problem with this, however. There is no power in YBA that makes you go first, so it will be really tough since a bard might be a higher CR than his friends, making him go later unless his friends have dirty trick and he doesn't. It also makes it so that Dirty Trick would kill alot of the bard's own powers. Perhaps make a power, or a built in one on the Bard path to make them go first.

As it stands though I like the first few powers but the bard path is a bit too specific, although it would be interesting. I have a few alternate undead path powers as well I want to propose.

Remove ads