D&D 5E Yes to factionalism. No to racism.

Bolares

Hero
Truly I will never understand why.

It's a perfectly workable system, assuming you actually define the cosmic forces of Law/Chaos/Good/Evil.
I know it has uses, I just find it so reductive and prone to misunderstandings... I've seen some terrible stuff being justified by alignment, and a lot of table fights because of it. I don't use it at all for almost a decade now, and I really don't miss it.

Yaarel

He Mage
I know it has uses, I just find it so reductive and prone to misunderstandings... I've seen some terrible stuff being justified by alignment, and a lot of table fights because of it. I don't use it at all for almost a decade now, and I really don't miss it.
I like alignment as a character roleplay aid, exactly like Ideal and Flaw.

I dislike the alignment Wheel planes, and consider them part of the problem with alignment.

I think it is ok to describe a faction whose ideology is evil, with regard to promoting and rewarding specific behaviors, such as predation.

Scribe

Legend
Fair enough, it's probably not an issue for me because of how I define these things and use them.

It's like Religion. People are of X faith, but do they adhere 100% to its teachings 100% of the time?

Absolutely not. People still have choice, and 1, even multiple, bad choice, does not redefine a person.

Bolares

Hero
I like alignment as a character roleplay aid, exactly like Ideal and Flaw.

I dislike the alignment Wheel planes, and consider them part of the problem with alignment.

I think it is ok to describe a faction whose ideology is evil, with regard to promoting and rewarding specific behaviors, such as predation.
For my characters I think traits, ideal, bond and flaw do a better job of what I've used alignment before.

When I DM, I can still use the word evil, or chaotic to describe an organization or such, I just don't use it as a system. I don't really need a 9 point axis for those descriptions...

Oofta

Legend
Truly I will never understand why.

It's a perfectly workable system, assuming you actually define the cosmic forces of Law/Chaos/Good/Evil.
I don't think you even need a cosmic force that as long as the group you're playing with has definitions that are reasonably close. Which has been the case for me ever since we switched from only having law and chaos to the current paradigm. It's a general descriptor and role play aid not something that defines every possible thought and action.

Absolutely not. People still have choice, and 1, even multiple, bad choice, does not redefine a person.
So, how many priests must you murder or witches burn at the stake before you are considered Evil? What does this say about Regill and Daeron, who are Evil and part of your party?

Remove ads