D&D Movie/TV (Yet another) D&D Movie Speculation thread.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
The highest grossing Anime movie ever for the U.S. is barely a speed bump in terms of general box office numbers. It's about as niche a field as they come. Even documentaries make more.

I'm not talking about anime movies. Excise that thought from your mind. Also, neither anime movies nor documentaries have anything to do with the popularity of anime among kids and young adults—most anime consumed these days are series and are watched on streaming sites.

What I AM talking about (if you followed the conversation), is that if there were to be an animated series (series, not movie) like someone else (!) suggested, that it should be aimed primarily at young teens. It, also, should also be something pushed on Netflix or Hulu. This, again, is something entirely seperate from the discussion of the forthcoming D&D movie (which, dollars to donuts, will be live-action).

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle is a good model to follow, I think. It could work.

We know that wasn't the tactic they were approaching the movie with in the WB project, but who knows what they will do at Paramount?

Yeah I said at the time that it’s a perfect example of a D&D movie done right, not great but definitely mass-appealing.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yes - exactly! Like a smarter, less irritating Jumanji. With a bit of a Lego Movie sensibility too.

Or, maybe, a Lego Batman Movie sensibility...?

That sequel might be a model for what we see: not explicitly children's playtime, but implicitly.

The possibilities are somewhat interesting, so I'll pay to see what they come up with. And if my kids can get Owlbears in their Happy Meals: Mission Accomplished.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'm not talking about anime movies. Excise that thought from your mind. Also, neither anime movies nor documentaries have anything to do with the popularity of anime among kids and young adults—most anime consumed these days are series and are watched on streaming sites.

What I AM talking about (if you followed the conversation), is that if there were to be an animated series (series, not movie) like someone else (!) suggested, that it should be aimed primarily at young teens. It, also, should also be something pushed on Netflix or Hulu. This, again, is something entirely seperate from the discussion of the forthcoming D&D movie (which, dollars to donuts, will be live-action).

You were replying to this (emphasis added):

"Despite the relative success of a number of animated works aimed at adults (*cough* Bojack Horseman) as well as the relative success of the new Spiderman animated movie as well as the DC Universe animated movies, it is still the case that IMO a D&D animated series would skew much younger."

By "series" I took him to mean series of movies, which is what most of the DC Universe animated movies are considered. Pretty sure, given the success of the new Spiderman anmated movie, that also will become a series of movies.

The thread title itself makes it clear we're all talking about movies.

If you think there should be an anime television or streaming series...OK. But, I was talking about movies, and so are 90% of the people in this thread, and so was a majority of the post you were replying to intially.

Nebulous

Legend
They need to envision it as an ongoing series, like Marvel did. They had a grand plan for years. I would suggest avoiding the drow problem (although I don't think it is insurmountable) and take a well known existing storyline from the vast D&D history and roll with it.

For the sake of argument let's say it is set in the Realms (the most well known place and oodles of novels and history), and you could conceivably focus on a different hero or groups of heroes, much like Marvel did with Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Dr. Strange, etc.

Maybe they should start with a revamped TV show or cartoon to test the waters first...

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
You were replying to this (emphasis added):

"Despite the relative success of a number of animated works aimed at adults (*cough* Bojack Horseman) as well as the relative success of the new Spiderman animated movie as well as the DC Universe animated movies, it is still the case that IMO a D&D animated series would skew much younger."

By "series" I took him to mean series of movies, which is what most of the DC Universe animated movies are considered. Pretty sure, given the success of the new Spiderman anmated movie, that also will become a series of movies.

See, but Bojack Horseman is a streaming series, and generally speaking when people use the term "series" they mean in the sense of TV/streaming series and generally use the word "franchise" when talking about movie "series".

The thread title itself makes it clear we're all talking about movies.

The thread title doesn't dictate tangents, and several people (myself included) have mentioned series (not franchises) on this thread.

If you think there should be an anime television or streaming series...OK. But, I was talking about movies, and so are 90% of the people in this thread, and so was a majority of the post you were replying to intially.

You're talk of movies was talking past me and those I was responding to. Also, while most people are talking about movies on this thread, some of us are engaged in a tangent that is not movie-specific.

Last edited:

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Here’s how I’d love a post credits clip to play out: cut to a living room scene with the actual actors sitting around a table packing up their dice and character sheets, saying stuff like “that was awesome.” “when do we play again?” “The DM looks at the camera and says “don’t worry the next campaign is going to be epic...” or some such. and then big letters: “D&D movie will return in 202X!”

If that’s how a regular fantasy D&D movie ended, that would be enough game tie-in to make me happy :)

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Here’s how I’d love a post credits clip to play out: cut to a living room scene with the actual actors sitting around a table packing up their dice and character sheets, saying stuff like “that was awesome.” “when do we play again?” “The DM looks at the camera and says “don’t worry the next campaign is going to be epic...” or some such. and then big letters: “D&D movie will return in 202X!”

If that’s how a regular fantasy D&D movie ended, that would be enough game tie-in to make me happy :)

I think that would be great for a post-credits scene. I'd laugh my ass off.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

The cast of the movie with Matt Mercer or Chris Perkins...?

Remove ads