Yet another Ghostbusters movie

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Animal House seemed to have started the frat boy type comedies as well. Anything that National Lampoon was doing was deliberately designed to offend, there is a decent show on Netflix about it. Early Bond movies as well where Bond strikes a women are shocking now. The only places you see male on female violence is usually in shows making a point (its not OK), or the female in question is so powerful its considered fine (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, super heros).

I am half way through watching the second season of the Punisher and he has no quams about hitting women. And fair enough, if they want to be part of the military then they are going to get hit that is just equal opportunity.

Zardnaar

Legend
I am half way through watching the second season of the Punisher and he has no quams about hitting women. And fair enough, if they want to be part of the military then they are going to get hit that is just equal opportunity.

Yeah I think context is key there. If she is a badass/superhero etc its fine. Bond smacked a normal women across the mouth though in one of the earlier movies. You don't really see domestic abuse like that in very many things and if you do its usually portrayed as unacceptable. Bond just casually does it. Domestic abuse used to be a big problem here (still is but but not like the old days listening to the older generations). Never used to be illegal for example.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Yeah I think context is key there. If she is a badass/superhero etc its fine. Bond smacked a normal women across the mouth though in one of the earlier movies. You don't really see domestic abuse like that in very many things and if you do its usually portrayed as unacceptable. Bond just casually does it. Domestic abuse used to be a big problem here (still is but but not like the old days listening to the older generations). Never used to be illegal for example.

If context is key then what the heck is a normal person doing wandering around the secret moon/volcano/underground bases that Bond is infiltrating then? You never see Bond beating his wife because she did not cook Uncle Billy some eggs, do you?

Zardnaar

Legend
If context is key then what the heck is a normal person doing wandering around the secret moon/volcano/underground bases that Bond is infiltrating then? You never see Bond beating his wife because she did not cook Uncle Billy some eggs, do you?

Bond only had a wife in one movie. Once Were Warriors was a social commentary movie and at the time was shocking and hard to watch. I remember watching it in the theatre.

Bond back hands a women casually for talking back iirc. He didn't beat the crap out of her like Jake. I was raised by mother and sister. Hitting women was a big no no although seeing a female badass like Ripely fight in Aliens was great.

I did have to ring 111 once because of a couple beaten with rake handle so seeing Bond do that in the 90's in a 60's movie was shocking for me.

Last edited:

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Bond only had a wife in one movie. Once Were Warriors was a social commentary movie and at the time was shocking and hard to watch. I remember watching it in the theatre.

Bond back hands a women casually for talking back iirc. He didn't beat the crap out of her like Jake. I was raised by mother and sister. Hitting women was a big no no although seeing a female badass like Ripely fight in Aliens was great.

I did have to ring 111 once because of a couple beaten with rake handle so seeing Bond do that in the 90's in a 60's movie was shocking for me.

Maybe you were shocked because you imagined that Bond is a good guy with a license to gently massage people?

Zardnaar

Legend
Maybe you were shocked because you imagined that Bond is a good guy with a license to gently massage people?

No it's because striking women was a big no no. The families it did happen in was kind of an open secret. Went home last year and found out a few other things as well as some of those kids now adults had been guests of her majesty for domestic violence or sexual assault on there own children.

We weren't allowed to go to certain houses as children now I know why.

Some things were not technically illegal until the mid 80's here. You could still get the cane and strap at school until 1986 here. My friend's mother put it best that unless your father or brother could beat up your husband women could have it fairly rough in some families.

So yeah some of those movies that were offensive were still better than what could happen at home. I doubt it was any better in the US or UK.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Your dreaming, the cane did not stop in 1986.

That was when it was made illegal IIRC. At my school a teacher was fired in 1992 for using it. Said school you could still get the bash for being gay into the 90's as well.

This was only 1 generation ago now, the world has changed for the better. One of the jokes about Once Were Warriors at the time was "is this a movie or documentary". I saw the after effects of one such bashing Once Were Warriors style in 1996 when I was 17 was the last time I saw something like that (and I had to ring 111, rake handle was used on a couple).

I always wanted to have a sequel to the original Ghostbusters movies.

While "The Real Ghostbusters" cartoon continued the stories (and some of the episodes were very good too), a live action film sequel is always the best.

The cartoon did deal with what it was like inside the containment machine, IIRC.

It would be very interesting what they can add to the ghostbuster's mythos.

For the most part until this movie comes along The Ghostbuster's video game is/was considered the third movie in conjunction with 1 and 2.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases