D&D 5E Yet Another Multiclassing Variant (Looking for Feedback)

Okay what about:
  • Multiclassed characters are limited to two classes and may not advance past level 10 in each class (i.e. eventually gets to 10/10 at level 20)
  • Multiclassed characters gain standard ASIs at character level 4, 8, 12, 16, & 19 instead of by class level (this creates some dead levels but gives someone balancing their levels quicker asi advancement), ASIs at Fighter 6 and Rogue 10 are unaffected
  • Classes that gain Extra Attack gain it based on character level instead of class level if both classes are no more than 1 level apart (benefit lost if you level out of the balanced split); Bladesingers also gain their cantrip as an attack ability with this
  • Companions (dancing items, primal companions, wildfire spirit, etc.) gain hp based on character level instead of class level
  • Monk Four Elements - spell slots can be used to cast Elemental Disciplines as a bonus action (e.g. attack twice then burning hands with a spell slot since you are out of ki) and ki can be used to cast other known spells gained thru spellcasting or pact magic; max ki spent on a spell equals proficiency bonus (ie progresses by character level instead of monk level)
  • When leveling up one class, may also make changes to the other class (e.g. a Fighter/Warlock that gains a Fighter level may also swap out a Warlock spell and Invocation), this simulates the split class character as being of one mixed class instead of two classes

Are you trying to make Multiclassing OP compared to single classes, while also making it more complex?

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Okay what about:

I have been trying to fix the 3.X multiclassing system for the past fifteen years; 5e is pretty much entirely the same system, except somehow even worse, and I will admit I don't understand it well enough to know how to begin fixing it.

I feel like I'm pretty close to the solution in 3.X/PF1, but only because someone else did 90% of the work for me when I wasn't looking. Feats and basic numeric improvements aren't the same between the two systems, but the PDF is only two bucks and might spark some kind of inspiration.

• Multiclassed characters are limited to two classes and may not advance past level 10 in each class (i.e. eventually gets to 10/10 at level 20)

Killing "class dipping" is one of my major goals as well, and I feel like everyone either wants to force you to "stay within two levels" or cap you at 10... but this just will not, can not ever work with the way the system's designed.

Doing it your way-- level 10 cap-- isn't even a restriction until 10th level, but after 12th or 13th level it means that any multiclassed spellcaster has to drop out. (Doing it the other way usually just means they have to drop out even earlier.) If you're running a game at 20th level (hypothetically), your Fighter 10/Cleric 10 or your Rogue 10/Wizard 10 are effectively just a Cleric 10 or a Wizard 10.

Plus, what happens if a 12th level Cleric decides to take their personal relationship with God to the next level as a Warlock?

You need to use a different mechanism to encourage/enforce players actually sticking with their secondary classes.

• Multiclassed characters gain standard ASIs at character level 4, 8, 12, 16, & 19 instead of by class level (this creates some dead levels but gives someone balancing their levels quicker asi advancement), ASIs at Fighter 6 and Rogue 10 are unaffected
  • Companions (dancing items, primal companions, wildfire spirit, etc.) gain hp based on character level instead of class level
  • When leveling up one class, may also make changes to the other class (e.g. a Fighter/Warlock that gains a Fighter level may also swap out a Warlock spell and Invocation), this simulates the split class character as being of one mixed class instead of two classes

Yeah, I think this is just good common sense.

• Classes that gain Extra Attack gain it based on character level instead of class level if both classes are no more than 1 level apart (benefit lost if you level out of the balanced split); Bladesingers also gain their cantrip as an attack ability with this

Probably overcomplicated, but: all classes stack 1-for-1 if you have levels in any class/subclass that grants Extra Attack. All classes stack 1/2 level towards Extra Attack II if you've got levels in Fighter. (Adjust accordingly for... Bladesinger and Monk, I guess.)

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I’m trying to make it easy so you don’t have to intricately plan things to not be nerfed. I’m also trying to nerf things like pal 5 -> sor 15 and sword bard 6 -> pal 2 -> bard 18.

divine smite only works with slots a Paladin of your Paladin level would have?

just take a scalpel to the parts you don’t like instead of changing how the whole system fundamentally works.

The following are nerfed:
3 class combos (eg 2 hex 6 bladesing rest sorc, etc)
Barbarian 3-5 splash
Valor/sword bard 6 pal 2 rest bard
Cle 1 splash
Fighter 11 rest x
Pal 5-7 caster x, pal 11 caster x
Ranger (esp gloom) 3-5 splash
Rogue 15 extra attack 5, rogue 9 fighter 11
Sor w pal
War 2 sor 18
Bladesing 6 pal 2 rest wiz

I think those are most of the best combos.
A fighter 10/barbarian 10 is clearly inferior to a fighter 11/barbarian 9 for example.

Then the buffs are so you can just level your character how you want and not make the mistake of getting your first ASI at level 7 and extra attack at level 9 (gimping yourself).

I also thought if someone wants to make a beast master multiclass it should be viable.

Four Elements also doesn’t play nice w only second level spells. But if people think that would be OP I’m not attached to it.
Nothing there needs nerfing.

Give me any of those combos at 9th level. You choose any one you want.

Post it with point buy stats.

Then I'll ompare it to a single classed 9th level PC which ill post.

Deal?

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I limited the power level of my campaigns character with the following rule....

You can multiclass OR use feats....but not both. Exception is made for the 1st level human variant feat.

Remove ads