• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Yet Another Question on Mapping Programs

Samothdm

First Post
I know that people have asked this question before but I did a quick scan through previous threads and couldn't find them right away.

What programs do people recommend for mapping, specifically for "bigger" geography (world maps and such more than city maps)? I'm not looking for a fancy drawing program but an actual map-drawing program that's easy to learn. I'm not super-knowledgeable when it comes to different programs so I'd like something really easy to learn and easy to use.

I downloaded the free trial version of Campaign Cartographer 2 but I think it was just a little too advanced for me. I don't think I'd ever have the time to learn how to make full use of the product.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Dragongirl

First Post
Well did you try the free download of their fractal generator? It is pretty good to generate a quick world if you want a base to start with. You can also go about altering it after you have the base done, or even start with a clean slate and do it all by hand.

Personally I use CC2 and the fractal mapper. Good luck in your search. :)

spunky_mutters

First Post
I can't help you with software recommendations, but I do have some advice. If you're going to map a whole planet (and this is assuming it is spherical rather than say a flat disk), make sure you pick a good template for the full-world view that takes curvature into account. If you don't, you'll find measurements on the world map won't match your local maps (and this distortion grows as you get farther from the equator). There are all kinds of projection systems that can be used for mapping spheres, and it can be difficult to pick an appropriate one, but doing things right at this stage means you won't be cursing a few years down the road when you discover that the giant northern kingdom is only 40 miles across.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads