• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Yet another Warlord name poll: Warrior

Which is the best name for the martial leader class?

• Warrior

Votes: 13 13.1%
  • Warlord

Votes: 47 47.5%
  • Something else

Votes: 39 39.4%

Klaus

First Post
Exen Trik said:
As I figure it, Warrior is the simplest, most acceptable alternative to Warlord. I'm curious if others like it.

Here's the points I see in its favor:
-Already established in 3e, in the DMG no less
-Has 'war' right in the name
-Associated with soldiers and the like, due to it being the usual class given them
-Just as specific as fighter
-Still sounds a little like warlock, but not nearly so much.
-As far as I know, the NPC classes aren't being used anyways

EDIT: Eh, I should have phrased the poll better.

I recognize that warrior is a very general term, and technically doesn't mean much different than fighter. My association with soldiers is based almost entirely on the NPC class being used for those kinds of characters. Extrapolating 'war' as something that must involve multiple people on either side of a conflict is the only significant difference of the name with fighter, which only refers to combat itself.

But that's not really the point.

My main problem with the warlord isn't that it's so similar to warlock or to specific a term, but that some people have an honest, serious problem with it sharing the name with real world, modern day war criminals. My problem with other suggestions is that in every case they are too specific a concept, denoting military rank or a particular function that warlords may include but aren't limited to.

So then, the question is: is Warrior more acceptable to more people, and works with more expressions of the class concepts, than Warlord, tactician, marshal, or any of the other suggestions?
Other: Myrmidon.

Exen Trik

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
I think we've had enough polls about alternate Warlord names.
I'll agree with that, I just felt warrior needed some fair consideration. Other than starting with 'war' and sounding generic, it has not one of the problems of warlord or any of the alternatives.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Marshal.

Seriously, guys, it's the name of the current class. Go pick up the Miniatures Handbook, give the marshal the fighter's armor choices and combat progression, and I predict you're 75 percent (or more) of the way to the 4E warlord.

Felon

First Post
Exen Trik said:
As I figure it, Warrior is the simplest, most acceptable alternative to Warlord. I'm curious if others like it.
Warrior is an awful choice for naming this class. Too generic, too common, totally unevocative, has nothing to do with inspiring or leading others. And worse yet, it still starts with "war".

Guys, you people doing these darn polls are making a case for keeping it as warlord. If you really want to see another name, you gotta do better than bunting with names like "warrior" and "soldier".

Felon

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Marshal.

Seriously, guys, it's the name of the current class. Go pick up the Miniatures Handbook, give the marshal the fighter's armor choices and combat progression, and I predict you're 75 percent (or more) of the way to the 4E warlord.

Marshal is the best name I've heard. As a noun, it's pretty open in terms of rank. You can have marshals leading a small group of people or an entire batallion. It implies a military background without expressly requiring. As a verb, it has the right ring of leadership and inspiration, rather than command and autocracy.

All that considered, I think we could the fact that it's a homophone for "martial" a pass.

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
MoogleEmpMog said:
Anyway, 'warrior' doesn't differentiate itself from 'fighter.'
Well, that's because 'fighter' isn't really a good name either. From what I've read about the 4E fighter so far, something like 'armsman' or 'weapon master' would be more appropriate.

I'd wished, they'd got rid of old hats and invented new names for all of the classes!

HeinorNY

First Post
Warlord.
I like Commander and just Leader too. Warleader? But they are not very D&Dish IMO.

The problem in making so many suggestions is the fact that we don't know for sure how warlords work. We know they are leaders, they ressemble the marshal class from DDM, and other few tibits.

Warlords sounds fine to me for a D&D class. All other names just sound meh.

Remove ads