Yet anther hybrid 3.5/4.0 system... but mine is better (just kidding), suggestions?

Crashy75

First Post

This is how I treat level advancement:

Attributes: You start with [18,16,14,12,10,08], and increase one attribute by [one point] with each level of advancement. The maximum rate of increase is one attribute point every other level.

Is there a +5 limit to attributes? I like the 4e system that gives a bonus to 2 stats (perhaps every 2 levels?)
Hit Points: You start with [Fortitude] Hit Points, and increase your HP by [Fortitude/3] with each level of advancement.

Do you mean constitution?
Offense: You increase your Offensive bonus by [+1] with each odd level of advancement.

Oh... Honestly, this is the sort of thing that I didn't like about 4e- a sort of homogenizing philosophy that made one character look like all the rest. If you like it that's cool though.

Defense: You increase your Defensive bonus by [+1] with each even level of advancement.

Resistance: You increase your Resistance (save) bonuses by [+1] with each even level of advancement.

Feats: You start with Racial Abilities and Class Training. Then you increase your Feats by [2] with each level of advancement.

Well, I'm all for additional feats. That is a decent way to customize one's character. I'm getting a GURPS vibe here. Have you checked that out? You might like it. I thought GURPS undead was especially good though I don't really like a point system for character creation myself.
Skills: You start with [20] Skill points, and increase your Skill points by [7] with each level of advancement.

Yeah, very GURPSesque.

Regarding Attributes (stats), a 30th level character gets 26. I give one per level, giving a more gradual increase.

I'm confused here. What do you mean by this?

Offense, Defense and Resistance works the same, except that I give Offense on odd levels and 4.0 gives all on even levels.

Instead of jacking up all Skills (I added an 18th, Quickness or initiative) on even levels, I allow the character to chose a select few each level. there are some skills that they will never even try or practice at, why should they automatically advance with level?
So, what is the max skill level? Are you talking about the 7 skill points above? What does it mean to advance? Perhaps 1/2 +5 max, with the gaps filled it at 7 points per level? I would go with something similar like either pathfinder/phoenix or just stick with the 4.0 system (only advancing x non-class skills as you intend here- that, I think, in an improvement on the 4.0 system).

Lastly we come to Feats. All 4.0 characters get a Power each level, which I include as a feat. Then over 30 levels they gain 18 more feats. To balance every level evenly, I allow them to select two feats per level. They can be two Encounter Powers at their level or lower, or include General of Class Feats.

By the way, all Monsters also increase in levels and get treated the same way.... Bwahahaha!!!

Wait, so one of those feats is really a power? Are you selecting from the 4.0 lists? What about spellcasters? You said you are going with 3.5 casters, no? They select spells perhaps? 1/level seems low (at low levels in any event) really.

And, man, monster creation must be quite a task!!!!

Hereticus

First Post
Is there a +5 limit to attributes? I like the 4e system that gives a bonus to 2 stats (perhaps every 2 levels?)

That is the same as most all systems use.

Do you mean constitution?

Yes.

Oh... Honestly, this is the sort of thing that I didn't like about 4e- a sort of homogenizing philosophy that made one character look like all the rest. If you like it that's cool though.

The character classes are anything but similar, and there is more variation within classes.

Well, I'm all for additional feats. That is a decent way to customize one's character. I'm getting a GURPS vibe here. Have you checked that out? You might like it. I thought GURPS undead was especially good though I don't really like a point system for character creation myself.

Yeah, very GURPSesque.

I have never seen a gurps.

So, what is the max skill level? Are you talking about the 7 skill points above? What does it mean to advance? Perhaps 1/2 +5 max, with the gaps filled it at 7 points per level? I would go with something similar like either pathfinder/phoenix or just stick with the 4.0 system (only advancing x non-class skills as you intend here- that, I think, in an improvement on the 4.0 system).

The max skill level is your racial and class bonuses, one per level, plus whatever you can get from feats or items.

I'm confused here. What do you mean by this?

Actually the number is 24, from the 4.0 system. Characters get stat increases at 4th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 18th, 21st, 24th and 28th levels.

Wait, so one of those feats is really a power? Are you selecting from the 4.0 lists? What about spellcasters? You said you are going with 3.5 casters, no? They select spells perhaps? 1/level seems low (at low levels in any event) really.

Yes, characters can select from the 4.0 list, and they get two feats per level.

And, man, monster creation must be quite a task!!!!

It's alot easier...

Remove ads