• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You are using Bonetti's Defense against me, ah?

grodog

Hero
I used to play en garde. It didn't really allow the kind of thing the OP is after, but it did allow you to slash, thrust etc with your weapon, and different weapons had somewhat different capabilities.

I've heard good things about Flashing Blades and also Lace & Steel, but haven't played either yet.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Is there any thing useable with Pathfinder RPG? In the living Pathfinder threads there are some who are working on ideas of a fencing academy.

dbm

Savage!
GURPS Martial Arts 4e covers all martial forms, western as well as eastern. It has concepts like 'style familiarity' which leaves you at a slight disadvantage when fighting an opponent using a style you are not aware of. Characters can be familiar in multiple fighting styles, naturally. It also has rules for pretty much all the different, subtle maneuvers you might go with in fencing or other melee combat.

It's an excellent add-on to GURPS if you want to emphasise this part of your game.

Starfox

Hero
I taught a fencing class for years and one of my older students told me about a game called En-Garde that did something like this. It's not the board game from the 90's, but an older rpg, though I never looked into it.

If it is the En Garde I'm thinking of, it was actually written as a sort of Play by Mail game. It had maneuvers, but they were fairly basic, more like rock-stone-scissors more than Princess Bride.

Edit: Doh, read thread before posting

There was also a Swedish swashbuckling game called En Garde in the 80s, but that's a different beast. Their fencing rules were fairly basic IIR, but its a long while since I read that.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads