Pathfinder 2E You Can Now Playtest Pathfinder's New Gunslinger & Inventor

There's a brand new Pathfinder 2E playtest in the wild, and it contains an old favourite and a new arrival -- the Gunslinger and Inventor classes!

pf2e.jpg

The playtest is live now, and runs until February 5th.

Gunslinger -- " This is a brand-new version of an old favorite: the gunslinger has been rebuilt from the ground up with new subclasses and abilities unique to Pathfinder Second Edition, including a sniper subclass specializing in devastating opening attacks. Bonus points for those of you who might not be as enthused about having firearms in your home games: we’re playtesting the gunslinger with built-in options for replacing firearms with crossbows. Now, your snipers and drifters can find their place in any campaign! And no, playing a character with this option won’t require a feat or archetype!"

Inventor -- "Master gadgeteers, inventors can interact with mechanical devices in the heat of combat to influence the direction of the fight, leverage their powerful innovations to deal out devastating attacks, or transform themselves into unbreakable armored bulwarks. Other inventors might prefer to instead rely on their trusty clockwork companions to hold the line while these PCs use their skills and cunning to heal or support the party."

mewzard

Explorer
People have been looking forward to Gunslinger options for a while, and I'm quite fond of how it's handled here. Quite a few interesting feats and I'm glad it's super accurate thanks to the Firearm/Crossbow proficiency scaling.

Inventor meanwhile...is super exciting. Don't get me wrong, I'm always down for returning classes, but new content is good in my book. If ever there was a class for the mad scientist, this is it. Tempted to try it out in the near future.

It's not listed in the playtest, but on the book's description, this was also listed:

"Automaton ancestry for players who want to play a customizable construct"

Now that has me intrigued.

"Androids are coming out in Lost Omens Ancestry Guide. Automatons will be very different, more like magitek constructs who can modify their bodies by doing things like slotting a sword into their elbow instead of their forearm and hand."

Paizo has to ask Devir Iberia to be published the books with the clases. Can't you believe? Only the two first monster compediums were translated, and I couldn't buy the ultimate guide of Magic.

Davies

Legend
From the sound of it, they're more gearforged than warforged.

If they're really serious about the class using guns or crossbows, then I wish they'd call them 'the shootist' rather than 'the gunslinger'.

Lefi2017

Explorer
how do you make guns exist in a setting with out them not outclassing other range weapons while not dispensing the gun crazy players?

We can't forget the arm race of PC vs DM if we add firearms. Somebody could create low-level magic tricks agaist guns, for example pieces of ectoplasm to block canons or to water gunpowder, summoning swarms, or illusory magic for effects as a smoke grenade, or alchemist item working as a bulletproof jacket. If firearms are too powerful nobody will want to use melee combatants as barbarians or samurai.

I wonder about the challenge-rating of a gobling riding a steampunk exosuit. Technically the exosuit isn't a creature, but in the combat it works as a construct mount. What would be the CR of a torret working as a trap, and the same torret but being controlled by an enemy PC?

Erdric Dragin

Adventurer
This just makes me extremely sad and frustrated. The Inventor sounds so cool to add to my games, but I only enjoy and play PF1e and would love to have a PF1e version of this in my games. But since we've been abandoned, we'll never enjoy this class for the game we spent money and were loyal to Paizo with for.

Can't there be an exception for Paizo and for them to release a PF1e Inventor class too? How am I ever supposed to get something like this for MY games? I'm just crap out of luck huh?

The terrible consequences of new editions. :cautious:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases