• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You gain a bonus to the attack roll equal to your Strength modifier.

TheGogmagog

First Post
When you have an Attack: Dex vs AC and Special: You gain a bonus to the attack roll equal
to your Strength modifier. Do you add both Dex and Str, the best or only Strength?

Bolongo

Herr Doktor
TheGogmagog said:
When you have an Attack: Dex vs AC and Special: You gain a bonus to the attack roll equal
to your Strength modifier. Do you add both Dex and Str, the best or only Strength?
Both.

Argyuile

First Post
TheGogmagog said:

Thats how I read it but could you say what power your talking about specifically as it my be important.

TheGogmagog

First Post
Topple Over (p119?) is what I was looking at, but thought the teminology came up enough to be a general question. Same with Torturous Strike except it's "damage 2[W] + Dexerity modifier damage" and "Brutal Scoundrel: You gain a bonus to the damage roll equal to your Strength modifier."

I was thinking it was both, but wanted to confirm.

While we are on specific examples, I would also read Imperiling Strike (Rogue Attack 7), that the Brutal Scoundrel benefit replaces the flat -1.

I am Rogue - Brutal Scoundrel

Last edited:

MarkChevallier

First Post
It looks like Hurricane of Blood (Rogue Encounter Attack 27). The extra attack bonus only applies to Brutal Scoundrels. Still, the extra to-hit is very nice, and the attack does 5[W] damage, which isn't bad.

Beastman

First Post
Bolongo said:

So what if your STR-modifier is a penalty? There are many powers that state you get a bonus equal to some ability-modifier and I wonder everytime what do do with ability-penalties.

TimeOut

First Post
Beastman said:
So what if your STR-modifier is a penalty? There are many powers that state you get a bonus equal to some ability-modifier and I wonder everytime what do do with ability-penalties.

That is a good question. I also need an answer for that.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Beastman said:

It would seem that the obvious is that you take a penalty to damage, and your DM wonders why you took this power.

Bolongo

Herr Doktor
Beastman said:
Then you take a penalty. In the example you give of Topple Over (p 120), the + your Str mod only applies if you've chosen to be a Brutal Scoundrel. You'd have to be pretty daft to pick that tactic with a low Strength. :cool:

Generally speaking, in all cases like this the bonuses have to be cumulative, otherwise what's the point? Also, the wording is AFAIK always just "bonus", meaning it's untyped (as opposed to a "power bonus" or a "feat bonus" or whatever), which in turn means it adds. See pg 275.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads