You Have The Power! New Masters of the Universe RPG!

Legends of Grayskull is an upcoming tabletop RPG based on the 1980s Masters of the Universe cartoon show. The game is being produced by Fandom (the owners of D&D Beyond) who announced a Dragon Prince RPG just a week ago. Like the latter, it will use the Cortex Prime system, which the company acquired from Margaret Weis Productions last year, and it's coming out in 2021, with public...

Legends of Grayskull is an upcoming tabletop RPG based on the 1980s Masters of the Universe cartoon show.

motu_image.jpg

The game is being produced by Fandom (the owners of D&D Beyond) who announced a Dragon Prince RPG just a week ago. Like the latter, it will use the Cortex Prime system, which the company acquired from Margaret Weis Productions last year, and it's coming out in 2021, with public playtesting in advance of release. It's a 250-page hardcover book with pull-out maps.

"In the Legends of Grayskull tabletop roleplaying game, players can customize or create characters to overcome high-stakes challenges and find epic fun in Eternia, a world where magic meets technology. The experience brings together the core roleplaying game, a digital companion and toolset, a community content creation and sharing platform, and an organized play program that gives fans the opportunity to participate in a connected, living story with other players around the world."

I doubt very much an official d20 Master of the Universe but if Hasbro and Mattel merges. I have said some times d20 system isn't ready to play different genres as sci-fi or superheroes with the right power balance. I bet Hasbro would rather to start from zero with its own planetary romance or sword & planet. And TTRPG is totally different when you can use ray guns. Then everybody want to be Rambo but nobody Conan or Tarzan.

aramis erak

Legend
Ok, I'll guess I'll play this with Savage Worlds or 5E (I'll still get this for the lore and the pictures). This is exactly what I'm NOT looking for in games. That's why I probably don't play narrative games. I played both Fate and 2d20 once and both were really bad experiences (you could argue whether 2d20 is narrative, but that's not the point).

I don't want a roll tell me that there are complications. That's the GMs role. It should be something that's related to the story, when the story needs it, and not when a roll tells you something happened. You still have the critical fails and critical successes for unplanned happenings.

The more I know of this game / Cortex, the more complicated / clunky it seems. Yes, there are probably options and house rules that you can use, but then you have Savage Worlds (or one's favorite all purpose game) that's better suited.
And yet, Savage Worlds has the bennies, which are a mix of gamist and narrativist... you're being paid to play your disads, and for good table behaviour. Not entirely consistent there. Think of it this way: a 1 on your dice in Cortex Plus is EXACTLY the same game outcome as your Opponent rolling a crit in Savage Worlds: Life got complicated. Complications are a form of damage

Note that Savage Worlds has roughly the same ranges for ratings, so it's not going to be that hard to convert,
The meaning, however, may be considerably different.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads