• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your Best and Worst Sci-Fi TV Shows!

Ahnehnois

First Post
Even the most ardent Deep Space Nine fan admits that the series took a while to get going, and had its share of dud episodes. But when it's good, DS9 is still as good as any science fiction show ever.

Pants

First Post
Ahnehnois said:
Even the most ardent Deep Space Nine fan admits that the series took a while to get going, and had its share of dud episodes. But when it's good, DS9 is still as good as any science fiction show ever.
Indeed.
I'll happily admit that the show had some episodes that I really didn't care for, but man, did it have some good ones too. :)

Storm Raven

First Post
Brakkart said:
Farscape -aka Muppets in Space... whoever came up with this show should be dragged out into the street and shot!

If that's your assessment, then I can only conclude you never actually watched any of the episodes.

In any event, my top 5:

1. Babylon 5.
2. Farscape.
3. Stargate: SG 1
4. Blake's 7
5. Dr. Who

Honorable mentions to Star Trek: TOS and SG: Atlantis, for being fun

My worst 5:

1. Space 1999
2. Battlestar Galactica - the old one or the new one
3. Star Trek: Voyager
4. Star Trek: Deep Space 9
5. Andromeda

Dishonorable mantion to Star Trek: TNG, for seeming to have half of its episodes revolve around spatial anomolies and holodeck malfunctions.

Storm Raven

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
MacGyver saving the world from all manner of alien threats I could buy into. Col. O'Neil is another matter. He's a complete idiot, who needs technobabble explained to him--sometimes repeatedly--that even I, an English Major who hasn't taken an advanced science class in his life--can easily understand. He's a bad tactician, a bad leader, and a moron. And he's in charge of the most important combat/diplomatic special ops team in history? Riiiight.

O'Neil asks questions for story purposes - it gives Daniel or Carter the opportunity to explain what is going on to the audience. Someone has to be that character, and there isn't really anyone else on the SG1 team who it could be.

Orius

Legend
Lord Pendragon said:
He is an idiot. Note that he is an idiot regardless of whether he's speaking with his enemies, or safe within the SGC. He does need to have the technobabble explained to him multiple times, and it has nothing to do with Sam. There are plenty of scenes where the individual providing the re-babbling is Daniel, or Thor, or some random scientist, although Sam is certainly the most common culprit.

That is the most irritating aspect of the show, though I can usually overlook it. It's very hard to reconcile his overflippant jocularity with the rather grim O'Neil from the film. I blame it on the fact the RDA is one of the producers, and that he wants to have fun with the role. This is why, if I were producing a show, I would never ever let any of the leads sit in a producer's chair. However, nothing he does on Stargate is as egregious as Kevin Sorbo.

Rackhir

Explorer
Orius said:
That is the most irritating aspect of the show, though I can usually overlook it. It's very hard to reconcile his overflippant jocularity with the rather grim O'Neil from the film. I blame it on the fact the RDA is one of the producers, and that he wants to have fun with the role. This is why, if I were producing a show, I would never ever let any of the leads sit in a producer's chair. However, nothing he does on Stargate is as egregious as Kevin Sorbo.

I really think you have to consider the movie separately from the series, while they pretended that they were in the same timeline, it was something very different than what the series became.

My general impression of RDA is that he has if anything minimized O'Neil's importance. I don't think he's used the show to be an ego trip for himself.

Orius

Legend
Rackhir said:
My general impression of RDA is that he has if anything minimized O'Neil's importance. I don't think he's used the show to be an ego trip for himself.

Thus the Sorbo comparison I made. RDA makes O'Neil very silly at times but not to the point where the show becomes nearly unwatchable. The same cannot be said of what happened to Andromeda.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads