D&D General Your Characters' Families

Oofta

Legend
Reading these made me think of one of my first PCs.

A wizard, he had been born, raised and trained by his mother for the sole purpose of being ritually sacrificed in a ritual that would give her immortality. Oh, and he is an atheist who doesn't believe in the soul or eternal life

They both became NPCs when my PC gained very long life and mommy dearest became a lich and a main BBEG for several campaigns. I just resolved the conflict in my previous campaign.

So I guess I've always liked having family entanglements.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
For those not really catching that particular brand of french "humour":
  • Grad Ubid: Gras du bide (Fat belly)
  • Grod Ubid: Gros du bide (Big belly)
  • Tad Ubid: T'as du bide (You have quite a belly on you, my friend)
  • Moud Ubid: Mou du bide (Your big fat belly is soft, my dear friend)
  • Pud Ubid: Pue du bide (And in addition, your big fat soft belly smells...)
Does this count as family ?
Two thoughts:

1) Paul Atriedes‘ Fremen name must be HILARIOUS in France.

2) in the super spy/action hero spoof comic book series, The Trouble With Girls, the main character’s sidekick is named Apache Dick. Over the course of the series, we are introduced to many members of the Dick family.

Last edited:

Lyxen

Great Old One
Two thoughts:

1) Paul Atriedes‘ Fremen name must be HILARIOUS in France.

It's different enough that I don't think it creates a problem, but you are right, it's still similar.

2) in the super spy spoof comic book series, The Trouble With Girls, the main character’s sidekick is named Apache Dick. Over the course of the series, we are introduced to many members of the Dick family.

I'll have to look into this, for reasons...

guachi

Hero
I routinely try for the blandest, most normal family background possible. My parents have normal vocations (often farmer). They are still alive. They were good parents. My siblings are also all still alive. None of them have dark secrets.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Usually family doesn't impact my PCs much. But I've played a drow rogue in a homebrew world with a twin sister who was a priestess of Eilistraee, and after being imprisoned in a magic lamp for a while (time was extremely slow within), he set out to find his possibly-still-alive sibling who was, despite being his twin, over two centuries older than him...

That, and the death by self-sacrifice of his new friend made him stop adventuring. So yeah, family did have an impact.

Adamant

Explorer
I primarily play Adventurer's League, where backgrounds don't come into play much, but I try to make my characters have a good reason for leading an adventurer's life. I would say about half to two thirds of my 70+ characters have living parents, but those that don't still have ties. My oldest surviving character is your standard street urchin orphan, but she has bonds with the other children she banded with to survive as well as with an old harper woman who taught her and brought her into the organization. Another character still has parents alive, and started adventuring because he developed clerical powers and their closest temple was already in good hands with plenty of other clerics and regular priests. A third character, who is also the one that had her backstory come out in play the most, was a halfling rogue who was part of a full run of Princes of the Apocalypse.

It was sheer coincidence that the character and campaign matched up so well. Bree Littlefoot had already been created and had been sitting for a while (my hobby is creating characters and I always have more than I can play), and after a partial run of Lost Mines of Phandelver (where she came in halfway but still hit level 5 by the end) the dm decided to continue the campaign with a different hardcover. I was originally planning to switch characters to a different level 5 that I had sitting around, but when he chose Princes of the Apocalypse I decided that Bree was perfect. She was from Red Larch, and her parents still lived there, but Bree had insatiable curiosity and left home as soon as she was old enough to be an adventurer. Even before that she had been exploring the nearby dwarven ruins, where she had had a run in with the cult of the Howling Hatred and narrowly escaped thanks to stealing a balloon pack (with instructions on it!). Since Princes of the Apocalypse starts in Red Larch, Bree came back home, discovered that the water cult had been trying to track her down by threatening her parents, and got involved in the story that way. She dealt with the threat to her family pretty quickly, surprising her companions with how vicious she was when people she loved were threatened, and eventually finished the campaign and saved Red Larch and her family.

Remove ads