"Your Class is Not Your Character": Is this a real problem?

Warpiglet

Adventurer
This is true.

However it doesn’t say who taught you and helped you learn.

e.g. I want to play a bard who learned skills from a hag—-blackish fey magic. the rules do not say I MUST belong to a bard college. Which is good because I do not to want to pretend my creepy guy learned at a college.

giving people some latitude is paramount for a fun rpg.

I once played a hex blade but tied his ability to wear armor to his noble background
NOT warlock class.

I like playing a dragon sorcerer but am not into dragon bloodline stuff. It’s just as easy to say it’s fiend blood for me and redefining the mechanics as coming from something other than a dragon.

Its make believe afterall

Regardless of an individual's personal preference while walking down the street, the fact they have the proficiency on their sheet reflects the fact that they have learned how to wear it effectively at some point in the past. You still went to paladin school (or whatever), even if you make a point of looking like you hadn't.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
A difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Cleric A follows Ohsidee the Compulsive. They have the Order Domain.

Cleric B follows Su-Zan the Bossy. They have the Command Domain.

You're moving the goal posts. The post I was responding to says order is now called command. That means order no longer exists. If you are now moving the goal posts and you have two different domains with identical spells, well, that really crappy design.

Look at the domains in 5e. How many are even close to one another, let alone identical? As a player and DM I would be really upset with WotC if they tried to pull something like that.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Why are you insisting that a meta-game/narrative concept, namely the name or label of a cleric class domain, has any actual meaning in the fiction? That may be one of the strangest arguments I have ever heard from someone who purportedly hates metagame concepts in their game.
There is absolutely nothing metagame about an in-fiction domain called order meaning order, and an in-fiction domain called command meaning command.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Are you defining his setting?
I'm not. I'm refuting his claim that it is metagame in MY game. It's also not metagame in the PHB. If he wants to home brew his game to give domains that aren't domains, he can do that. Here's what he said by the way.

"Why are you insisting that a meta-game/narrative concept, namely the name or label of a cleric class domain, has any actual meaning in the fiction? That may be one of the strangest arguments I have ever heard from someone who purportedly hates metagame concepts in their game."

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I'm not. I'm refuting his claim that it is metagame in MY game. It's also not metagame in the PHB. If he wants to home brew his game to give domains that aren't domains, he can do that. Here's what he said by the way.

"Why are you insisting that a meta-game/narrative concept, namely the name or label of a cleric class domain, has any actual meaning in the fiction? That may be one of the strangest arguments I have ever heard from someone who purportedly hates metagame concepts in their game."

Then why are you telling him what the Order Domain is in his setting?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So why are you telling him what the Command Domain is in his setting?
Show me where I said what it was in his setting? I told him it was crappy design. He can use crappy design in his game if he wants. I really don't care. I told him he was moving the goal posts. He was. Where did I say what it was in his game?

Remove ads