Your experiences with Counter Collection Digital v2.0 GOLD

Wolfspider

Explorer
I'm seriously considering buying the Counter Collection Digital v2.0 GOLD from Drivethrurpg.com.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=12265

I was wondering what your experiences with this product have been. I imagine the selection of counters is pretty darn useful. I am concerned, though, with the fact that I have to burn the ISO file to a disk. Will the counters automatically print out to be in the 1-inch square scale?

Anyway, I'd appreciate if you find folks would share your impressions with me.

Thanks.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'd be interested in hearing what folks think of the collection, as well. I've been considering picking the thing up...

I own this collection. I think it's an awesome gaming aid. I once used purchased counters, but I used to get frustrated with having to hunt for them, not having the right amount, not having the exact image I wanted, etc. Then I purchased the CD-ROM version of this product, and I used it for printing whatever number of tokens I needed for upcoming encounters. Even better still, I switched to using MapTool and TokenTool at the game table and I create tokens using the Counter Collection. I even added the collection in the image browser for quick on-the-fly adding of drag-and-drop tokens, which is great for when a character casts a summoning spell or when the game takes a detour and I need to drop in new tokens.

The only caveat is if you want to print the tokens. I created a word template that has 1/2" grids [for accommodating small creatures]. The grids allow me to tile the images together and snap the tokens to sizes needed.

There have been a few conversations here and there on various forums about how to make them durable or how to print them with a sharp image. Some suggest using card stock for durability; others say use photo paper for sharper, brighter images. Still others suggest laminating them or wrapping them in transparent tape. Personally, I just print to cardstock and treat them as disposable.

In summary, get it. It's worth it. It even has monsters presented in WotC books such as Libris Mortis, but it lacks psionic creatures, or the new Eberron races.

There's also a limited edition Ptolus Counter Collection Digital CD-ROM , but it only has 200 counters and costs as much as the gold. Fiery Dragon might discount it at GenCon, and I think they plan to sell it through DriveThruRPG.com as a download once the CD-ROMs are sold out.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
It is very well done. When I was able to print them from work I'd treat them as disposable to the point of letting the players enjoy destroying the counter when the creature died. :D

PS - I also recommend copying the collection to your hard drive and using some sort of search indexing tool or an image viewer such as Picasa to browse and search through the counters.

Weregrognard

First Post
One problem I encountered with the Ptolus Counter Collection is that I had to "reduce to fit print margins" so the images wouldn't be cut off at the bottom. The result is the tokens are slightly smaller than they should be. Although that hasn't been too much of a problem at the table, it does annoy the perfectionist in me.

Androlphas said:
One problem I encountered with the Ptolus Counter Collection is that I had to "reduce to fit print margins" so the images wouldn't be cut off at the bottom. The result is the tokens are slightly smaller than they should be. Although that hasn't been too much of a problem at the table, it does annoy the perfectionist in me.
I was referring to an actual CD-ROM of image files rather than the PDF. Very different approach to printing them.

Nailom

First Post
I own it and it's one of the most useful tools I ever bought. I have enough counters for everything I need and I can write down hitpoints, conditions, spells, Initiative etc on the counter cause I can just print out another one.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I have this and I love it. Having the digital images on CD to use as you like is much more efficient and economical than printing out the PDF versions of the Counter Collections. I made my own blank couter sheets in various sizes in Microsoft Publisher. I just add the artwork I need at the size I need, bring the borders to the front, print and cut.

Plus the artwork is by the very talented Claudio Pozas!

JustKim

First Post
I'd been considering Digital for a while and I had a difficult time finding the exact features of the program or whether it was simply a collection of PDFs on CD like the Dragon Archive. I finally read something to the nature of Digital not having the in-software capability of designing your own page, arranging only the counters you want to print, and that you have to use another program like Photoshop for that.

Well, that was the only reason I wanted Digital in the first place. So I bought the Gold PDF with Summoned Creatures and saved myself $20.

Remove ads