D&D 5E Your Favorite 5e Houserule

Laurefindel

Legend
Oddly enough, despite the dozens of house rules we have had (and many we still use) in 5E, there is nothing that is my "favorite".

Same here

I surprise myself - me, a chronic houseruler - playing by pretty much by RAW (with the use of Feats and Multiclassing, if you consider their use as a houserule). Most game I DM however has a houserule or two specific to the genre and style for that game, or the players I play with.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I have a desire to build a table with the screen(s) as the tabletop. I think I could do it for about $5000

We use a 55" wall-mounted TV for maps, displaying initiative, etc. and it works great. I wouldn't want it on the table unless it was a BIG table! ;)

Same here

I surprise myself - me, a chronic houseruler - playing by pretty much by RAW (with the use of Feats and Multiclassing, if you consider their use as a houserule). Most game I DM however has a houserule or two specific to the genre and style for that game, or the players I play with.

Yeah. We have a bunch of house-rules, but none are essential to playing IMO.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
In posting about expertise in another thread, the one house-rule we use that I would want to keep if I played at other tables is allowing you to choose expertise in one of your background skills at the expense of the other. This way a Wizard (sage background) could have expertise in Arcana and be as good or better than a rogue or bard. Likewise, a Fighter (soldier) could have expertise in Athletics or Intimidation and be as good as a rogue or bard as well.

Simpler initiative tracking. Everyone rolls like normal, but then I call out “anyone higher than X”, X being what I rolled. So players have a bit more flexibility, and I don’t have to waste time going down all of the numbers. Then I go, then I call out everyone else can go.
I do this too. I also roll initiative this way every round. It really streamlines combat and makes things a lot more tense.

Long rests not allowed in the dungeon.

Long rests are 24 hours and require a successful survival check in the wilderness.

Magic item charges use the Usage Die from The Black Hack.

I don't use feats, but I grant a lot of feat abilities as normal defaults. For example, all proficient characters can use the additional attack on a crit or drop to 0 from Great Weapon Mastery. All characters who can fight on horseback get the advantage on attacks from Mounted Combatant and all characters get the Polearm Master opportunity attack.

If you benefit from a Raise Dead or Revify or such, you gain a permanent and cumulative -1 to all your future death saves.

If you drop to 0 hit points, you suffer a cumulative level of Exhaustion

Zaukrie

New Publisher
(note, I can barely remember which version has which rules, who knows, some of this might be RAW).......

Flanking matters.

You can't just keep trying skill checks forever until they work.

Re-roll initiative every round when fighting high level demons.

I use minions a lot.

dave2008

Legend
We use a 55" wall-mounted TV for maps, displaying initiative, etc. and it works great. I wouldn't want it on the table unless it was a BIG table! ;)
Currently I am think about 4 50" TVs linked together to make one "screen." That is close to 4'x8' which seems good to me (+ extras of course). I want to be able to have a map on the table and use minis on it, so on the wall will not work so well.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Currently I am think about 4 50" TVs linked together to make one "screen." That is close to 4'x8' which seems good to me (+ extras of course). I want to be able to have a map on the table and use minis on it, so on the wall will not work so well.

We map on the TV using powerpoint, etc. and tokens for the PCs and monsters when we need to. Otherwise, we just stay with theater of mind most of the time.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
This seems to weaken Polearm Mastery by giving half of it to all characters.

I'd play a multiclassed swashbuckler rogue with a whip. A semi-reliable way to get attacks on someone else's turn so I can deal my sneak attack again? Sign me up. The whip is both reach and finesse. Would lose a level to another class to get the weapon proficiency, but a level of fighter shouldn't hurt.

I've yet to have any player take polearm mastery, but likely I'd amend the feat to make their use of aoo to be as many times as their proficiency bonus.

As to rogues with whips, I dont allow multiclassing in my games because its optional and I think it tends to be used for cheese. As such if a rogue wants to use a valuable feat to become whip proficient for that once per round chance I'm cool with that. But always a good point if we spot cheese combos. I have an understanding with my players that if we spot cheese, bring it to everyone's attention. They've been awesome about that.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases