D&D 5E Your Favorite 5e Houserule

Fast Swapping - characters can swap out gear as an object interaction.

For example, you can put away your sword and shield to draw your bow as a single object interaction (which you can still do for free once per round). Having to drop gear just clutters up the table, rarely for any benefit, and this encouraged players to try different actions, rather than sticking with whatever their gear would enable because swapping would get too expensive in terms of the action economy.

I do this too. Mostly because when we first started, we didn't know any better, but when I realized it, I decided to just keep things as they were. Maybe later we'll have enough of a grip on all the rules that somebody will want to play with this, but until then, I am leaving things be.

We use a 55" wall-mounted TV for maps, displaying initiative, etc. and it works great. I wouldn't want it on the table unless it was a BIG table! ;)

What do you use to display initiative? I've been taking the time to write it out on paper, along with keeping track of hit points, and I haven't liked how long it takes to set up each battle. Once things get going, everything is good, but it's getting to that point that is the problem.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
What do you use to display initiative? I've been taking the time to write it out on paper, along with keeping track of hit points, and I haven't liked how long it takes to set up each battle. Once things get going, everything is good, but it's getting to that point that is the problem.
If you're open to a non-TV based answer, my DM has clothespins with each character's name on them and a few "Monster #X". He clips them on in order on the top of his DM screen and we're off.

If you're open to a non-TV based answer, my DM has clothespins with each character's name on them and a few "Monster #X". He clips them on in order on the top of his DM screen and we're off.

That still leaves me with keeping track of all the stats, though. If I don't write them out in order to begin with, I end up wasting more time trying to find the correct spot to write things down at later.

I do like the clothespin idea, though, for my players. I hate having to remind them that it is their turn all the time. That alone could help speed things up. And we have a clothesline, so I have lots of clothespins already.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
That still leaves me with keeping track of all the stats, though. If I don't write them out in order to begin with, I end up wasting more time trying to find the correct spot to write things down at later.

I do like the clothespin idea, though, for my players. I hate having to remind them that it is their turn all the time. That alone could help speed things up. And we have a clothesline, so I have lots of clothespins already.
Current DM just calls out "20 to 25", people pipe up, he puts on a a few clothespins, repeat down the list. Only a few people (if any) in each group of five, very easy to sort. If you have the order, the numbers are not needed anymore.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Our DM developed an excel file with a macro. It has the character's info, so he puts in the d20 results for each and clicks the button. Here is a screen shot:

1579061613041.png

Anoth

Adventurer
I use group initiative as the optional rule. But I do surprise differently. It is also a group check
And winning surprise just means your side goes first, basically wins initiative. Speeds up play. So sometimes there is no initiative rolled because they won the surprise check.

Our DM developed an excel file with a macro. It has the character's info, so he puts in the d20 results for each and clicks the button. Here is a screen shot:

View attachment 117500
This is exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks! And I could preset anticipated mobs on another page and just copy and paste them over into the battles where they are needed. Still takes a little bit of time, but not nearly as much.

Now to see if I can make it work how I want on my husband's tablet or if I'll need to drag my laptop out . . . which I've been resisting due to space issues.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
This is exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks! And I could preset anticipated mobs on another page and just copy and paste them over into the battles where they are needed. Still takes a little bit of time, but not nearly as much.

Now to see if I can make it work how I want on my husband's tablet or if I'll need to drag my laptop out . . . which I've been resisting due to space issues.

Here you go. I had to zip it since I can't attach excel files directly. If you encounter any issues, let me know and I can pass it on. You can have up to 19 individuals I think (row 20), but I could be wrong.

Attachments

• D20_InitSequence.zip
    17.3 KB · Views: 138

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases