Your Favorite Halfling?

Which is Your Favorite Halfling?

Lord Zack

Explorer
My version of hobbits are generally more martial than the baseline. They've had to deal with goblinoid raids and the like and so have learned how to defend themselves. They have a home land in the central regions of the continent, but caravans travel to both the West and the East.

JeffB

Legend
The first pic is cool but the other one is terrible. Not just the halfling, everything. It's hard to believe it's the same artist or that this could make a book cover.

Well diff'rnt strokes and all :) At the time it arrived on the store shelves, A1 was a great cover- while not Jeff's best work- I still enjoy looking at it. IN particular Jeff always has alot of "movement" - there's always a bit of "super hero" element to it (a Thief on some creatures back, a MU flying, etc). Not surprising considering what Jeff did after he left TSR. (see here for a page of his various works)

I'd kill (well not really, but you know what I mean) to have Jeff Dee, Bill Willingham, and Jim Roslof do the 4E books over in color :D

pweent

Explorer
Our campaign has over the past decade wound up with our own particular defining characteristic for halflings, based on the original 1e racial traits, and supported nicely by the 4e halfling stats:

Halflings have a ridiculous capacity to survive the most deadly circumstances - circumstances which they usually bring upon themselves through their utter lack of self-preservation instincts, which in turn is due to their capacity to narrowly escape danger... and so on, in a vicious circle back to the dawn of the halfling race.

Or in the words of the progenitor of this archetype, who played Boen, the halfling in our 1st ed Temple of Elemental Evil game, and the Bugs Bunny to the party ranger's eventual Elmer Fudd:

This is the direct result of generations of halflings jumping into proverbial meat grinders. The survivors breed, rabbit-like, producing countless children, many of which are hale enough to survive their own stupidity, misfortune, and accrued enmity. The cycle repeats itself, like a beautiful cosmic clown car perpetually unloading its passengers into the perplexed mouths of no-longer-hungry lions.​

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
On fire!! (check out my avatar :p)
That guy looks kinda familiar.

The Halfling Torch, as you called him, was an amazingly effective low-level warlock... when he wasn't asleep. That was probably the first halfling PC I've gamed with that didn't annoy me.

Remove ads