D&D 5E Your favorite PC of all-time...

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
What would make it earth-shakingly cool though would be if you-as-player were in fact writing these sagas either on the fly or after the fact
If and only if you can indeed write poetry that other people want to hear.

- the voice of experience (Gondolin Adanedhel, 3e Bard)

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
My favorite PC, I created as a Gamma World pre-gen for a convention.

A Mutated Cactus (I gave it the Quills and Spines mutation) with some melee ability. The player went in to wrestle everything we met. Every grapple attempt turned into a free attack.

The player had so much fun with it that I brought it back the next year. And the next. And ...

I think it went 5 years straight and was always picked from the stack.

My favorite PC of all time was Logue the Barbarian.

Logue was an ill mannered brute with a low intellect, but a heart of gold. He was also deeply superstitious, and afraid of magic and heights (to his great shame). He really liked to drink, arm wrestle, and tell fantastic stories around the campfire that were completely ridiculous.

Some memorable moments:

Logue steps on a pressure plate and accidentally activates a trap, then steps on it again to make sure.

Logue convinces his party to paint their faces, and get drunk, and then dance around a fire to summon the Great Bear, so they can ask his deity for guidance. Much to the shock of everyone, the Great Bear then actually appeared in the bonfire, and spoke to the party. This was the first and only time in the campaign that a deity had actually physically appeared. They never doubted Logue's beliefs after that.

The party helps Logue conquer his crippling fear of heights, and helps him regain the respect of his clan. He is able to complete the quest that all members of his clan must complete at the age of 18, by climbing a mountain and confronting the bear in his cave. He originally failed this task in his youth, ironically due to being afraid to climb the mountain, and was banished from the clan out of shame. Logue now confronted the bear, and they talked, and arm wrestled. The bear was really quite nice.

Logue tells his party the legend of the giant monster Loc Nar, who will swallow the world, and bring about the end times. Everyone thinks this is absurd. The party would later confront Loc Nar, who really wasn't such a bad guy. Loc Nar was an ancient being trying to warn the natives of an impending doom, but they misunderstood him. And thus the legend spread among the many tribes, in which he was the villain.

The party almost meets its end when fighting an undead dragon. With Logue pretty much being the last man standing, he decides that it would be an honor to die in glorious battle while defending his friends. He throws down all his armor, and charges at the dragon in the nude. He hits the dragon, and it dies.

Logue must defeat his double, to fix the timeline, and stop a cataclysmic paradox that threatens to destroy their reality. While some of the party members fight their double, Logue and other Logue agree to have a fair arm wrestling match. The original Logue wins, and the duplicate Logue graciously accepts his defeat.

Wulffolk

Explorer
This sounds really fun!

What would make it earth-shakingly cool though would be if you-as-player were in fact writing these sagas either on the fly or after the fact, in place of (or as) the game logs. :)

Lanefan

That was the idea. My Skald would tell the tales of their adventures to other adventurers to inspire them. I didn't really bother with the average trip out to farm XP, but when something cool or unique happened I would make sure it was remembered in saga. I would post some of the more memorable sagas to the forums of that particular persistent world, the sagas that I felt other Bards might hear and repeat. One of the cool things about playing my Skald on a persistent world in NWN 1 & 2 was that they would get to travel with different heroes and group compositions almost every time they went on an adventure, and most other players could find a good reason to include my Skald regardless of the type of character they were playing. Creating a saga was more about how the story was told, the presentation, not about making rhymes or songs, so I did not need to be a poetic genius to pull it off. Most players loved hearing tales about their character's more memorable exploits.

Marius Ezmirr

First Post
Falgus Bloodwind
22nd lv Human Wizard whom specialized in Blood Magic & has lived for over 500yrs!
He hails from the Domain of Mordent, within the Domains of Dread, and has traversed many of the locations throughout Ravenloft.
He had even escaped the dark realm for a short time to the lands of Faerun, before choosing (along with his party) to go back through the mists to continue the fight against the dark powers. Was last seen (played) in the domain of Sithicus.

Remove ads