• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your favorite westerns.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Personally I only love Sergio Leone's westerns. I just don't like the look of earlier ones, which are far too clean looking. And while later movies try to emulate the realistic look of Leone's movies, they tend to lack something.

I do like the Western TV show, "Have Gun, Will Travel"

Dark Jezter

First Post
Express said:
Lonesome Dove. Not a cinematic release but a mini series now out on DVD. Robert Duvall is great in this one.

I'm currently reading the novel because numerous people have told me that it's one of the best books they've ever read (even people who aren't normally fans of westerns have loved this book). When I finish the book, I plan on buying the miniseries on DVD (which I've never seen yet).

Express

First Post
Dark Jezter said:
I'm currently reading the novel because numerous people have told me that it's one of the best books they've ever read (even people who aren't normally fans of westerns have loved this book). When I finish the book, I plan on buying the miniseries on DVD (which I've never seen yet).

Youre very lucky then. Id love to be able to come to his stuff fresh again. Larry Mcmurtry is teh cool. IMHO. A guy that can write The Last Picture Show, Lonsome Dove, Terms of Endearment, and the screenplay for Brokeback Mountain has some skills.

CrusaderX

First Post
Excellent list, Jezter. High Noon, High Plains Drifter, and Unforgiven are my personal favorites.

I also enjoyed The Quick and the Dead (with Sharon Stone), and Maverick (with Mel Gibson). While definitely not classics, they still entertained me more than I thought they would.

rom90125

Banned
Banned
Dances With Wolves
Unforgiven
The Outlaw Josey Wales

I really need to watch the older classics, reading the other posts have convinced me that I'm missing out on some great Westerns...

Dark Jezter

First Post
I don't know if this one technically counts as a western because it isn't set in the American west, but I'll list it anyway becuase I love it so much. :)

Quigley Down Under (1990): In this movie, Tom Selleck plays Matt Quigley, an American sharpshooter hired by an Austrailian rancher to kill aborigines. When Quigley decides not to go through with the killings he becomes the target of the rancher and his men, and escapes into the Austrialian wilderness along with a woman he rescued from the rancher's men. I love this movie because of the great performances by Tom Sellack, as well as Alan Rickman who plays the main villain. Plus, Quigley has a really badass rifle. ;)

Elf Witch

First Post
I am big John Wayne fan. True Grit is one my favorites.

I am big fan of TV westerns like Lancer, High Chapparal, Rawhide, The Big Valley.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
I enjoy westerns more than anyone I know, other than my parents. My favorite westerns are (in no particular order):

Tombstone
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Silverado
Rio Bravo (the only one of my favorites I don't actually own yet)
El Dorado
Big Jake
Quigley Down Under

Other westerns in my DVD collection include:
Into the West (the recent mini-series)
Once Upon a Time in the West
Pale Rider
Unforgiven
Support Your Local Sheriff (has a great scene where James Garner keeps Bruce Dern in jail with nothing more than a can of red paint)
Support Your Local Gunfighter
Blazing Saddles (it's western enough :p)
McClintock
True Grit

I want more, but Westerns just don't seem to get the same lovin' on DVD that blockbuster action/sci-fi movies do.

JediSoth

Remove ads